About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, June 23, 2018

Reds Top Prospect Nick Senzel Out For The Season League Leaders Emerge






Nick Senzel the Reds' top prospect is going to have surgery on his right index finger.

Senzel suffered the injury in a Louisville Bats game Friday night.  The Reds' first pick and the second overall selection in the 2016 draft.

The 22-year old (6/29/1995) spent most of spring training in the Major League camp.  He hit .286 in 15 games, playing shortstop, third base and second base.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
At Louisville, Senzel was hitting .310 in 44 games with six home runs, 12 doubles and two triples.  He drove in 28 runs.  Senzel was on base at a .378 clip and stole eight bases in 10 attempts.

Senzel was fifth in the International League in hitting when he left the game on Friday.  He had an active 11-game hitting streak (22-50, .440).

Senzel played 28 games at second base, 14 at third base and just one at shortstop.

He had also missed time with vertigo.

Senzel's path to the big leagues had two main roadblocks in Scooter Gennett and Eugenio Suarez. (see note below)

Manager Jim Riggleman suspects he would’ve likely made his major league debut sometime before rosters are expanded in September.

“I think so,” Riggleman said before Saturday’s game against the Chicago Cubs. “We never said anything specific. I never talked to (general manager Nick Krall) about it or about when he’d be here, but I got the sense that it might be before September and, in all likelihood, during September.”

 Senzel, who developed a reputation for playing hard in Goodyear put this tweet on his account this afternoon.

 “I would like to start by thanking my family, friends, teammates and fans for the support over the last 24 hours. It had been a challenging season from the start, but it has made me grow. The news this morning was very unfortunate but I was prepared mentally on how to handle it, whether good or bad. I had a goal this season and it was to make it to the big leagues and help the Cincinnati Reds win ballgames. Although I did not fulfill this goal, it will not stop my drive to fulfill my dream. The support that has been shown is what makes me blessed and thankful for everything in my life inside and outside of baseball. It’s what makes me keep going … and make no mistake I will be back, stronger than ever. I love u all Reds Nation.”

LEAGUE LEADERS

The Reds may be last in the NL Central at 30-45 going into the third game of the four-game series with the Cubs, 15 games off the pace set by the Milwaukee Brewers., but they lead in some areas.

The Reds are 8-2 in the last 10 games, the best in the National League.  Since May 8, the Reds are 22-18, three games behind the Brewers and a half game worse than the Cubs.

The Reds have won four of the seven games against Chicago, all at home this season.  The Reds visit Wrigley Field for the first time on July 6 for the first of 10 games in Chicago.

Individually the Reds feature the National Leagues leading hitter, Scooter Gennett with a .335 hitter.  Eugenio Suarez leads the NL with 57 RBI even though he has missed two weeks with a broken hand.  Suarez leads the Reds with 16 home runs and is tied with five other players for third in the League.  He is hitting .304 and tied with two other players for 10th in the league.

REHAB

Homer Bailey will pitch in Louisville tonight on a rehab assignment.  He is on the disabled list with a strained right knee.




http://donatelifeohio.org/








No comments:

Post a Comment