About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Eugenio Suarez Flattered By Comparison To Nolan Arenado Hard Work Pays




Eugenio Suarez signed a seven-year extension in March to keep him a Red through the 2024 season.

Suarez didn't take the security and rest. He continued to work hard and is now being compared favorably to the gold standard at third base, Nolan Arenado of the Colorado Rockies.
he gThe player the Reds acquired from the Detroit Tigers for Alfredo Simon as a shortstop, took over for the popular Todd Frazier at third base in 2016 after Frazier was traded.

Considered shaky at the position at the position when he started, has turned himself into a gold glove type third baseman according to his manager Jim Riggleman.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"This guy is a heck of a player," Riggleman said of Suarez.  "He's such a well rounded ballplayer.  His instincts for the game, game awareness, offensively, defensively, great arm.  I've seen some comments that when he first moved over to third. He wasn't real good over there.  I was here. I don't even remember that.  He's been really good from day one but he's been outstanding as we've moved along.  It is gold glove caliber defense over there.  It is like trying to win it from Brooks Robinson back in the day.   You're not going it because Arenado's over there but when the ball gets hit we like it when it goes his way."

Suarez is close to Arenado in defensive ability.

"He is absolutely right there with Arenado.  Suarez has a great arm," Riggleman said.  "He has soft hands, good range.  I think where Arenado sets himself apart from people is he has freakish range. I could be wrong, maybe my eyes are deceiving me but he does have exceptional range.  Suarez with his positioning, his help from Freddie (Benavides), he gets to a lot balls over there."

Offensively, the numbers are even closer. (see below)  Even though Arenado the leader is 1,000,000 votes ahead of Surez in fourth place.

"I think Nolan is one of the best third baseman in the league, in baseball," Suarez said.  "Everybody knows he will be the starter in the All-Star game.  But to be part of the top five guys, the best, in the National League makes me proud of myself.  It's an honor to be a part with those guys.  You have to do what you do and if fans are going to vote for you fine.  The most important thing for me, is the game tonight, is the most important thing for me.  Now I just want to work hard and help my team win.  I want to hit well and play well every day."

This is the offensive breakdown with NL rank as of June 25.

Batting Average  Arenado .328 4th   Suarez .308 7th
Home Runs   Arenado 18 2nd   Suarez 16 tied 5th
Runs Batted In    Arenado 55 3rd   Suarez 58 tied 1st
On Base %    Arenado .403 4th    Suarez .395 tied 5th
Slugging %   Arenado  .595 1st   Suarez ..586 2nd
Runners in scoring position    Arenado .365 7th    Suarez .369 6th

The following categories reflect efficiency.  Arenado has played in 12 more games than Suarez who missed two weeks with a broken hand after he was hit by a pitch.

RBI per at bat    Arenado  5.0 2nd    Suarez 3.9 1st
HR per at bat     Arenado 15.2 4th    Suarez 14.2 2nd

Both players play on home fields that are hitter friendly.



                  avg obp  slug
Arenado  .357/.430/.693 Home
                .276/.325/.493 Away
Suarez     .289/.370/.570 Home
                .330/.419/.604 Away
Arenado has 12 home runs and 31 RBI at Home
                       6 home runs and 24 RBI Away
Suarez has 8 home runs and 35 RBI at Home
                  8 home runs and 23 RBI Away

Milwaukee manager, Craig Counsell pointed to Suarez is the reason the Reds have been winning lately.
 http://donatelifeohio.org/









"The guy that stands out to me is Suarez," Counsell said.  "He is kind of quietly having a Jesus Aguilar season. Very quietly, he's having a big offensive season."

Jesus Aguilar, the Brewers first baseman has leaped from a bench role to a starring role with the Brewers, hitting .304 with 18 home runs and 52 RBI.

One of the individual statistics Suarez would love to win is RBI.  It is an individual stat with a heavy team element.  The more runs a player drives in the better the chances for a team win.

"I want to win the RBI title.  I want to win anything. It is my goal to be better every day.  It would be awesome for me. It would be nice," Suarez said.




No comments:

Post a Comment