About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Joey Votto Gets A Day Off






Joey Votto is getting a night off.  Let me repeat that Joey Votto is getting a night off.

Votto has been in the Reds' starting lineup for 202 straight games but Bryan Price in consultation with Votto is giving the Reds' Iron Man a day of rest.  That's not to say that in a game winning situation, Votto would not pinch hit but the plan is to avoid his participation in the game against the St. Louis Cardinals.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"It is just a day off.  We talked about it in spring training, where we'd have to look at some scheduled days off," Bryan Price said.  "I talked to him about it and we decided this would be a good one."

The Reds had a 12-inning game last night and flew late at night to Cincinnati.  Price told the entire team to report to the clubhouse later.  They did not take batting practice.

"He's our most established player.  He's our oldest regular," Price said.  "I'm just trying to be smart and keep him productive for the entire season.  We can't ask him to pull more of a load than everyone else."

Votto will be 35 years old on September 10.

The 202 game streak that included the entire 162 games of 2017, started on September 3, 2016.  It was the third longest streak of Votto's career.  From September 5, 2012 to May 5, 2014, Votto played in 226 straight games.  From May 10, 2011 to June 30, 2012 Votto played in 204 straight games.

It was June 30, 2012 in which Votto injured his knee during the Reds' 97-win Central Division Championship season in San Francisco.

Votto's 202-game streak was the longest in the National League and second in the Major Leagues to Alcides Escobar, who has appeared in 342 straight game.

The Reds lost 13-4 without its star.

"If you had asked me about this before the game, I would have had a different answer," Votto said.  "These are the kind of games that you want to put in the rear view mirror."

"It was a mutual decision, I must say," Votto said.  "I feel fortunate that I play for a manager gives me options.  We decided today would be a good day.  As mutual as it can be because it is his decision, it was mutual in that regard."

 Notes:

Brandon Finnegan claims that he is ready to go after a 98-pitch rehab start in Louisville on Monday.

Finnegan had three surgeries last season and was behind the rest of the pitchers in spring training.  He left a Cactus League start after two batters on March 11.

"I threw some pretty good pitches.  My misses were very small," Finnegan said.  "The box score said it wasn't a good outing but the video says different.  I was more worried about quality pitches.  I felt as good as I could feel in 42 degree whether.  I throw 98 pitches that's the most I've thrown in a year and a half.  I wanted to get my pitch count up and come out feeling good.  I did both."

Price expects to insert him into the rotation soon.

"I expect his next start will be here but Dick (Williams) and I haven't come to a conclusion yet," Price said.

"I don't need another rehab start," Finnegan said.  "I'm just waiting on them to tell me what to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment