About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Eugenio Suarez In Lineup Rosell Herrera Promoted Cliff Pennington And Phillip Ervin To Louisville






Eugenio Suarez suffered a broken thumb on his right hand on April 8 when Pittsburgh's Jameson Taillon hit him with a pitch.  His absence was just 2 1/2 weeks.  Suarez played two games at Louisville and got his timing back.

The Reds wasted little time in putting the thirdbaseman in the lineup against the Atlanta Braves.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"Suarez, we are very much pleased with what he did," Jim Riggleman said. "He's gone through a couple games down there in Louisville and got through that fine.  He is a quick healer.  It was an injury that could have gone, longer.  He's fine to go."

Suarez had a double and three walks in eight plate appearances for the Bats.

"I'm a little nervous. I was a little bit off on my timing when I went down but I got it back very quick, Suarez said.  "I didn't really think I'd be back this fast but I swung real hard.  I feel good.  I want to say thank you God.  I didn't think about how the team was playing without me.  I just wanted to come back as fast as I can."

Herrera impressed the Reds this spring.  The 25-year old from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic had a good spring for the Reds, playing all over the diamond on defense.  The 6'3", 195 lber played in 23 games in Goodyear, hitting .267 with two home runs, a double and triple.

The Reds sent Phillip Ervin and Cliff Pennington to Louisville.

"A couple changes on the roster, in particular, Ervin.  Once Schebler came back, Ervin became the fifth outfielder.  He has to go down and get some at bats," Riggleman said. "Herrera is a versatile guy.  He was very impressive in spring training.  He's a tall rangy kid that can run, swings it from both sides of the plate.  Primarily, played in the outfield before but signed as an infielder.   He's had time in the infield and played all around.  He gives us versatility and more athleticism."

Fans may be wondering about Nick Senzel.  Senzel is struggling in Triple A, hitting .231.  Herrera was hitting .311 with three home runs and 10 RBI in Louisville.

"I feel really happy.  I wasn't expecting this but I'm very happy.  I have the opportunity to help the team right now.  That's my mentality to help my team to win,"  Herrera said.

The ability to play infield and outfield and the addition of speed is the genesis for bringing in Herrera, who signed with the Colorado Rockies as an undrafted free agent in 2009 at the age of 16.  The Reds signed him with an invitation to spring training on November 17.  Moving Kevin Quackenbush off the 40-man roster made room for Herrera.

"I am able to play every position in the infield and outfield," said Herrera through interpreter Julio Morillo. "That's big for me. I think the team knows that.  That's why I'm here.  I will be able to play good defense.  That's why I'm here."

Herrera was relaxing by playing a video game when he got the call.

"I was playing a PS/4 last night at 10:30 when i had a phone call.  I didn't know who it was. It was the trainer at Triple A that told me I was called up to the big leagues.  It was an amazing feeling.  Ii played MLB the Show., Herrera said.  "I call my dad first.  After that I called my mom, my brother, all my family.  They are very happy right now."

David Hernandez, who the Reds signed to stabilize the bullpen is still working his way into shape.

"Hernadez is here.  He is still on a rehab schedule.  He's real close," Riggleman said.


No comments:

Post a Comment