About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Reds Sign Experienced Starting Pitcher Yovani Gallardo





The Reds signed veteran starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo to a one-year major league contract.

The Reds sent Zack Weiss to Louisville to make room on the 25-man roster.  They designated C Stuart Turner for assignment to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.  The Reds have to ask waivers on Turner if he clears they have 10-days to trade him or assign him to their minor league system.  He could also opt for free agency.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Gallardo, 32, pitched for the Milwaukee Brewers from from 2007-2014. He broke in with 17 starts in 2007 but became the Brewers number one starter in 2009 when he won 13 games in 33 starts. Gallardo won 17 games in 2011, leading Milwaukee to the Central Division title.

The former second round pick by the Brewers in the 2004 draft, is also known for his bat.  He has a career .202 batting average but hit 12 big league home runs, including four in 2010.  Gallardo has 10 hits against the Reds in his career, including a double and a home run.

After three seasons in the American League with Texas, Baltimore and Seattle, Gallardo returns to the NL where his bat will be a factor again.  He was in spring training with the Brewers but they released Gallardo on Monday.  He last pitched on March 23.

"Gallardo's a pro.  He'll know when he's ready," Bryan Price said.  "We didn't see this coming. I was hoping Weiss would get a chance to pitch.  He will be back here at some point.  The rainout changed a lot of things.  We went to an eight-man bullpen instead of a seven-man."

Gallardo knows GABP is a pitcher's nightmare, having started 15 games during his career.  His record in Cincinnati is 3-6 with a 3.77 ERA. He has allowed seven home runs in 88 1/3 innings..

"I'm excited to join this club.  There is a lot of young talent in this clubhouse," Gallardo said.  "For myself seeing how they go about things day in and day out.  They play the game hard until the last out is recorded.  I think I was in the bullpen the second half of the season and in spring training. I got a little taste of it.  I'm up for anything.  I told skip that.  They knew when I had the opportunity to sign, I will do anything I can to contribute."

Gallardo had other teams interested but chose the Reds where he joined former teammate Scooter Gennett.

"You feel comfortable being in a ballpark, you're familiar with," Gallardo said.  "It makes it a bit easier coming into the clubhouse where you know someone.  The guys here can hit.  I'm familiar with this division.  I pitched here quite a bit."

Leaving Milwaukee was difficult for Gallardo.

"It was a little hard seeing my time end in Milwaukee," Gallardo said.  "I think as an athlete you always go back to that one place you spent the most time in.  I spent seven years after getting drafted by them. Things just didn't work out for whatever reason or they had other plans. I It will be missed but I'm grateful for the time I had there.  Now it's a new beginning for me."

At least  Gallardo gets to return to the National League.

"I missed the National League to be honest," Gallardo said.  "I enjoy it. I missed hitting to be honest. I was in the American League the last three years it just wasn't the same."

Gennett thinks Gallardo will be a good influence on the young starters, Luis Castillo, Sal Romano, Tyler Mahle and Cody Reed.

"I think he is going to be great with the younger pitchers," Gennett said.  "I think it's a great pickup.  Whether he is coming out of the bullpen or starting, you're going to get the same guy, the same effort, the same focus.  He is very consistent with preparation and work ethic.  He is not as old as he looks.  I don't know if the grey hair throws people off but he's got some innings in him for sure."










No comments:

Post a Comment