About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Luis Castillo Gets Nicked Against Cleveland In Final Cactus League Start







Luis Castillo was effective for five innings in spite of allowing four runs on seven hits.  The Reds dropped the decision to the Indians, 6-4.  For those that care the Reds still won the fictitious Goodyear Mayor's Cup 3-1-1.

Castillo was ruined more lumber than termites in the first inning.  With two outs, Jose Ramirez beat out a bleeding, weakly hit ground ball to Cliff Pennington at third base.  Michael Brantley shattered his bat, hitting a ball off Tony Cruz' glove at first base.  The handle of Edwin Encarnacion's bat didn't survive his slow roller to third.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

As Murphy's Law would have it, Yonder Alonso did make solid contact and doubled into the right center gap to score two runs. Jason Kipnis, Rmirez and Brantley grounded singles through the infield to score a run in the third.  Bradley Zimmer homered in the fourth.

"I though Castillo's best innings were 1,2 and 5," Bryan Price said.  "He gave up two on three infield hits and a well hit double in the gap.  He threw the ball much better than that line score would suggest.  He got his work in.  He got stretched out.  He's ready to go game two."

Castillo is a new father who is moving his young family to the Major Leagues on Thursday.

"I'm ready for the season.  The last couple weeks was more about preparing mentally," Castillo said through interpreter Julio Morillo.  "It is a long season coming up.  I know I'm going to do great.  I am very happy.  This is my second spring training.  I am proud of myself that I'm breaking camp with the team right now."

Tony Cruz hit a home run off Josh Tomlin in the third inning.  Cruz was one of the last players sent to the minor leagues.  The Reds considered carrying three catchers but the Reds chose a fifth outfielder to add speed to its bench.

Eugenio Suarez doubled and went to third on a single by Scooter Gennett.  Scott Schebler bounced into a double-play as Suarez scored.

Zack Weiss pitched 2/3 of an inning.  Austin Brice gave up a two-run home run to Will Benson, who followed Ramirez' third hit.

The Reds scored in the ninth inning.

Sebastian Elizalde, Brandon Dixon and D.J. Peterson singled in the ninth to provide the final score.

"Elizalde and Dixon could help us at some point in the season," Price said.







No comments:

Post a Comment