About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Homer Bailey Gets Final Tuneup For Opening Day







Homer Bailey pitched six quality innings in the Reds 8-2 loss to the Colorado Rockies.

As with all spring training games the final score was inconsequential.  Bailey proved he was ready to go on Opening Day by pitching six innings.  He gave up three runs on nine hits but five of those were in the fourth inning.  Two of those hits were fly ball home runs, that really carried just beyond the fence.

Nolan Arenado and Carlos Gonzalez hit them back-to-back.  The five other innings Bailey allowed four hits and one walk.  His last two innings were scoreless.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"This last one was a good one to end on.  I just tried to fill up the zone as much as I can.  Once the season starts, I can take it into games.  A little bit of adrenaline will help," Bailey said.

The biggest news of all came before the game when Bryan Price announced that the 31-year old would make his first ever Opening Day start.  The Reds' first pick and seventh overall pick in the 2004 draft, has arrived at the top of the staff

"Cool," Bailey said.  "It is something I ever really thought about.  When you climb Mt. Everest, no one ever talks about the first step. They talk about getting to the top. It is more throughout the course of the season, that I look forward to than just the first one."

This wipes out the three injury filled seasons that preceded it.


"I guess I'd have to say yes that I feel as good as I can remember," Bailey said.  "It beats having stitches in your arm.  I was confident that I would get through this healthy.  it's the 14th or 15th spring training so I kind of know how to pace myself a little bit.  I tried to get to my mix slowly and not try to do too much in these games.  They don't really mean a whole lot other than the things you're trying to accomplish."

Bailey accomplished what he wanted to this spring.

"For me I wanted to it was getting to pitches, building up the stamina, executing pitches and being in the zone.  You don't want to go into spring training and put guys on with a bunch of walks," Bailey said.

Price has been snake bit the last two seasons, his projected starter didn't make it to Opening Day healthy.

"Homer looked good. Coming back out after a minor league start, coming out against a great lineup. I thought he threw really well," Price said.  "He had that hiccup there with a couple of homers there.  He got through the lineup really good and finished strong."

The numbers don't really count.

"It was his first healthy spring since, 2014," Price said.  "I felt he did what he needed to do. get stretched out, get in shape and get a lot better with his command.  He threw a lot of strikes and has gotten better with each outing."

The Reds bats took control early.

Billy Hamilton struggled a long time with his stroke but seems to be finding it at the right time.

The Reds didn't get a hit after the third inning.

Zack Weiss gave up two runs in the seventh.  Kevin Quackenbush gave up three in the eighth.
.
"It was the only time I think Quack's given up any runs," Price said.  "He's had a terrific spring. It's one of those games you forget about it and come after it tomorrow.  Weiss the last couple times hasn't been real sharp.  He's another guy, who had a nice spring until his last couple outings.  We know what he's about. I think he's going to impact our club, this year at some point."





No comments:

Post a Comment