About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Luis Castillo Finishes Season Strong Reds Sweep Brewers






In what was likely his last start of the season, Luis Castillo established himself as a 2018 starter in the Reds’ rotation, pitching the Reds to a 7-1 win and a series sweep.

Neil Walker hit a solo home run in the first inning, then Castillo got frugal.

 “He was extremely dominant," Bryan Price said.  "He limited their ability to get the barrel of the bat on the ball. He has good stuff of course.  We knew that.  That’s why we got him in the trade.  He’s a tough kid, who has tremendous confidence."

Travis Shaw doubled off Billy Hamilton’s glove with two outs in the first and Keon Broxton beat out a slow roller to short.  Both were stranded.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Castillo retired 11 straight in front of Broxton’s single and nine more before Orlando Arcia’s line single to center.  He finished eight innings, allowing one run on four hits, no walks and 10 strikeouts.

 “I was trying to compete," Castillo said. "I had a really good feel for my pitches.  I feel really, really good about having a great year.  I’m going to go back to the Dominican (after the season) and work hard for next season.  I feel really happy.”

Castillo finished the season with a combined 169 2/3 innings, including 80 with Double A Pensacola.  Last season he worked 132 2/3 innings.  Reds’ management will likely shut him down after he reached his incremental increase in workload.

His record improved to 3-7 and that could easily be reversed.  He dropped his ERA to 3.12 for his Major League portion of the season.

 How many guys can come up from Double A and do what he’s done?" Price asked.  "He is only 3-7 but he kept us in every game and that’s important.”

Castillo will remain with the team and work lightly with a good positive season behind him.

“I don’t know exactly what we will do with Luis the rest of the year," Price said.  "We have to get together and see what he will do.  I never say never but it is unlikely that he will pitch out of the bullpen. I don’t think you will see him on the mound the rest of the year.”

 The Reds’ hitters supplied the offense against Matt Garza in the third.

Zack Cozart, Joey Votto, Adam Duvall and Eugenio Suarez singled in succession plating one run and leaving the bases loaded.  Jose Peraza beat the relay on a potential double play ball to drive in a run.  Walker couldn’t handle the throw and Duvall scored on the play.  Peraza swiped secondbase.  Tucker Barnhart’s single delivered the fifth run.

Zack Cozart’s 18th home run of the season off Jeremy Jeffries gave Castillo five runs to play with.  Jose Peraza touched Corey Knebel for his fifth home run in the eighth.

 “I try to work hard every day and be ready," Peraza said.  "I know he likes fastball, fastball, fastball. I was looking for one.  It felt good when I hit it.”


Note: Billy Hamilton left the game after the second inning.  A pitch hit him on his left thumb as he intended to bunt.

“Billy has a fractured thumb," Price said.  "He is going to be in a splint for 10 days, then we’ll re asses.  I don’t think it will be season ending.  He can pinch run for us if he can’t swing a bat.”








No comments:

Post a Comment