About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, June 2, 2017

Devin Mesoraco Ruins Brandon Phillips Return






Devin Mesoraco's walk off home run off Jose Ramirez gave the Reds a 3-2 estra inning win.  It was his third of the season that came on a 2-2 pitch. It was his first walk off home run of his career.

"I had a feeling about him," Bryan Price said.  "I don't know why.  I usually have Arismendy (Alcantara) up there in that situation with a right hander on the mound but I had Devin up there."

The marquee screamed of Brandon Phillips return to the city in which he became popular.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The fans greeted him with a warm ovations as he tipped his cap to fans on both sides of the diamond before facing a teammate that preceded him to Cincinnati by 18 days.

That meeting was inconsequential.

The Reds rallied for two runs in the ninth to send the game to extra innings.

Jim Johnoson cracked though int his bid to save his 12th game in 15 tries.  After allowing just one leadoff batter to reach base in his 22 appearances, Adam Duvall doubled to lead off the home ninth.  Eugenio Suarrez hit a run scoring double and the Reds had the tying run on second with no outs and the National League home run leader stepping in but Schebler looked at strike three.   Jose Peraza bounced to short moving Suarez to third.  It was up to Barnhart and his .274 average.  Johnosn's first pitch was in the dirt and eluded catcher Tyler Flowers to allow the Reds to tie the game.





Phillips had nothing to do with the two runs that Mike Foltynewicz made stand up with a two-hit performance over seven innings. The Braves pitching performance was a throwback to the Tom Glavine, Kent Mercker, Greg Maddux, John Schmaltz era, entering the bottom of the ninth.

Arroyo struck out Phillips in his first at bat.  Scott Schebeler made a nice running catch of Phillips liner to right in the third inning.  Phillips popped up to the infield twice after that. Phillips wore a size five collar when Drew Storen struck him out in the ninth.

The Braves scored in the third inning after Adonis Garcia and Dansby Swanson opened the inning with slap singles. Foltynewicz bunted them up a base.  Endy Inciarte’s fly to Billy Hamilton scored Garcia.  Swanson hit a solo home run, his fifth in the fifth inning.

Arroyo finished six innings and allowed jusr seven hits and an intentional walk.




"I felt like my old self," Arroyo said. "I wanted to go out for the seventh inning and I thought he would give it to me but we have a bullpen that can nail it down.  He just wants to make sure I'm healthy. I've made some minor adjustments with Mack Jenkins.  Tonight I wasn't missing my spots as much and when I missed them they were not missing by as much."

 Foltynewicz allowed two hits.  Tucker Barnhart singled to lead off the third and Arroyo slapped a single to center in the fifth.  Only Barnhart reached second base while Foltynewicz was in the game.

The Reds’ bullpen kept the Braves off the scoreboard in hopes of some offensive help that never came.

Foltynewicz struck out 10 with four called strikes that notably mild mannered Reds, Zack Cozart and Hamilton objected to strenuously.  Mike Winters, the home plate umpire drew their eire.

The Reds threatened Aroydys Vizcaino when Barnhart walked and Cozart singled but Hamilton was caught looking at a disputed called strike and Joey Votto flied out to left.

Raisell Iglesias allowed a single off the wall to Nick Markakis to open the top of the ninth. Duvall held Markakis to a single.  Iglesias got Matt Kemp, who had three hits, to hit into a double play.

"That was big for us," Price said.  "It got us out of the inning."

Mesoraco wanted to his a fastball early in the count but laid off a slider on a 1-2 pitch that was close after Reds' batters had a tough time with Mike Winters' strike zone all night.

"I knew I wanted to hit a fastball early in the count but laid off the first pitch slider," Mesoraco said. "I got one 2-2.  It was great.  I may have had a walk off hit in the minors."

Cozart, who is no stranger to injuries himself, sees the pre-injury Mesoraco returning.  The catcher had three surgeries in two years which limited him to 39 games.

'I see the old Devin from 2014 out there," Cozart said.  "It is tough with your timing out there to come back after two years.  He hit a guy who can bring up there at 100 mph."





No comments:

Post a Comment