About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Billy Hamilton, Scott Schebler Injuries Could Put Michael Lorenzen In The Field







Billy Hamilton and Scott Schebler left the game on Saturday with strained left shoulders suffered by diving to make catches in the outfield.

Schebler spoke after the game, assuring the press that it was just a stinger, commonly known as the “funny bone”.

"It was a stinger,” Schebler said.  “My shoulder went numb.  I had the same thing in Toronto but it cleared iup right away.  This time it didn't go away as fast but I came in here and I had full range of motion and strength.  It won't be a long term thing.  It is tight right now but that's because of the ice.  I could wake up tomorrow and feel great and ready to go.  If I need a day tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I'll be ready by Monday."

Hamilton left quickly after the game and spent the morning in the training room.

Manager Bryan Price had no knew information at the 10:30 morning press briefing.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

I don't know yet,” Price said. “They're going through their stuff this morning in the training room. Neither one's in the lineup, so all I'm trying to figure out now is if they can play and what they can do today. Certainly something I probably would not share with anybody anyway, just to not tip our hand. However, we will be looking at the possibility of them being able to be active by tomorrow or if there's going to be any issues that would prevent them from playing over the course of several days, because it would be very difficult to play short with a three-man bench. That's going to be really hard to do for an extended period.”

Arismendy Alcantara was in the lineup in centerfield and Scooter Gennett took Schebler’s spot in rightfield.

Neither injury is believed to be significant enough to warrant a 10-day stint on the disabled list but even with a game or two unavailability, the Reds are down to the backup catcher (Mesoraco today) and Patrick Kivlehan. 

Price said that Michael Lorenzen could be pressed into duty in the field.  Lorenzen was drafted as a pitcher but was good enough to be drafted as a centerfielder.  He keeps those skills sharp by shagging fly balls in batting practice.  He is an excellent base runner.

“I know it would probably scare our front office and ownership to death possibly, but he's an athlete and he works on it,” Price said. “He takes balls in center field every single day. He hits with the regular batting practice group often, does all of his bunting stuff. So I don't worry about him getting hurt running the bases, taking an at bat. I would have the same feeling if he ended up in the outfield. He's an athlete. I think we're guilty of putting most of these guys in a bubble anyway, trying to protect them from injury in a game where you can't protect them from injury. We're trying to win games here. If the goal was simply to finish the season healthy, we'd be failing at that miserably, and we're trying to do everything we can to keep them healthy. So I think we've just got to let them go out there and play.”

Lorenzen would love to contribute in that way.

“I’m a baseball player,” Lorenzen said.  “I love the game of baseball.  If he wants to use me, then use me. I take care of my body. I work on these skills. I’m ready for anything.”




No comments:

Post a Comment