About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, May 5, 2017

Jose Peraza Drops In The Lineup Raises His Average





Jose Peraza has had a slow start statistically. 

The last eight games the 23-year old from Barinas, Venezuela is hitting .314 with an on-base percentage of .314.  Peraza has walked twice all year.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The low OBP has caused Peraza to drop from hitting second in the batting order to seventh.  The move has two purposes.  Peraza hasn’t been getting on base frequently enough.  His propensity to make contact cost Billy Hamilton pitches to grab a stolen base.

Peraza isn’t doing anythnig differently, balls he hits are dropping in or finding holes.

“I’ve been feeling good since day one. Somtimes things don’t go the way that you want it to,” Peraza said through interpreter Julio Morillo.  “I trust in my hands and the things that I do. Hopefully now the hits start coming.”

Peraza started last season at Louisville and hit a respectable .281 in 71 games. He was promoted to Cincinnati and hit .324 in 72 games, giving the Reds promise that Peraza would be an offensive catalyst at the top of the lineup.

Bryan Price, who had hope that Peraza and Hamilton would get on base and provide speed at the top of the lineup, dropped Peraza to seventh because his OBP was .256. The league average is .253.  Since hits started falling, He raised his batting average from .217 to .248 and his OBP from .256 to .274.

The drop in the order doesn’t cause Peraza to lose sleep.

“The important thing is that I’m in the lineup. It doesn’t matter if I’m second or eighth or fourth,” Peraza said.

The Reds have also asked Peraza to shift back and forth between shortstop and secondbase.  He has spelled Zack Cozart at short for rest days and a couple of minor injuries.

“I feel good whether I play second or short. Like I said, I’m in the lineup and that’s most important<” Peraza said.

No comments:

Post a Comment