About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Asher Wojciechowski To The Rescue From Louisville





The Reds with their bullpen under water from over use purchased the contract of Asher Wojciechowski from the Louisville Bats.

Stuart Turner was placed on the 10-day disabled list with strained right hamstring.  RHP Nefi Ogando was placed on the 60-day disabled list. He had been rehabbing from a right thumb and shoulder injury.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

Wojciechowski was the first round pick of the Toronto Blue Jays in 2010, the 41st player taken.  He played college baseball at The Citadel.  The 28-year old was traded to the Houston Astros. 
Wojciechowski made his debut on April 9, 2015 allowing four runs in four innings against Cleveland.  He was picked up on waivers by the Miami Marlins and pitched in their system the entire year.  Wojciechowski was signed to a minor league contract by the Arizona Diamondbacks in December and was released on March 28. 

“I didn’t have a job but I continued to throw batting practice at the Citadel,” Wojciechowski said. “The Reds signed me and I am happy for the opportunity.”

The Bats played a 17-inning game in Louisville last night.  Infielder Hernan Irrabarren pitched the last three innings and took the 6-5 loss to Columbus.  Wojciechowski, who was 1-0 with a 1.40 ERA in five starts, threw a bullpen earlier.

‘I was in the clubhouse in the 15th inning when the trainer told me to get my spikes on.  Delino (DeShields) wants to talk to you,” Wojciechowski said.  “Delino asked if I could throw. I told him I threw a bullpen earlier but I could take an inning.  He said well you’re going to the big leagues, you can throw one there.”

The right-hander pitched in five games with Houston in 2015 with three starts. Wojciechowski allowed 13 runs in 16 innings a 7.16 ERA.

Wojciechowski will be the 20th pitcher and 11th rookie used by the Reds this season.  He has the longest name by number of letters in Reds’ history.

No comments:

Post a Comment