About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Bronso Arroyo Better But Two Brewers Homers Ruins His Night








Bronson Arroyo went deeper in the game but two home runs did him in as the Reds’ four-game winning streak was stopped by Jimmy Nelson and his Milwaukee Brewers, 5-1.

Arroyo is not discouraged but would like to see improvement quickly.

 “It’s only been two starts," Arroyo said.. "To be honest with you it is uncharted territory. I don’t know if I am going to stay like this the rest of the year or if I’m going to get stronger.  I felt stronger today than I did the last time out. I hope it keeps progressing in that direction.”

‘I know Bryan’s  not discouraged as yet bit baseball, every sport at this level you get paid to produce man.  It’s got to get better a little quicker.”

“If I go out there honestly the next two times and still feel like things are not quite crisp. If the next two times out if I don’t see something a little crisper to keep us in the ballgame maybe I’m on a dead end street. I’m not sure.?

The Reds got to Nelson right away with a Billy Hamilton, “Billy Ball” run.  The speedster opened the game with a single off Nelson.  He stole secondbase on the first pitch to Jose Peraza.  Hamilton raced to third on Peraza’s fly out to rightcenter and scored on Joey Votto’s fly to left.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

Arroyo blanked the Brewers for the first two innings, retiring six straight batters.  Manny Pina and Orlando Arcia singled to open the third.  Nelson bunted them up a base.  Jonathan Villar grounded out to Votto at first as Pina scored.  Eric Thames singled to plate Arcia.  Ryan Braun hit his third home run of the season to send the Brewers up 4-1.

 “I feel like I have less room for error," Arroyo said.  "I feel like I don’t have enough to finish guys. My velo obviously isn’t as good as it used to be. It is hard anyway in the big leagues.  That’s a little bit of a problem. I can get into counts to keep guys off the bases with walks but if I keep giving up big innings like I did the last two times out it is going to be hard to keep the team in the game. I have always been a guy that gives up fly balls and a lot of home runs. I felt better than I did in St. Louis I hope it continues to progress.”

Thames homered in the seventh, his second to extend the lead.

 “Bronson is 2 1/2 years removed from competing," Bryan Price said..  "He had six Cactus League games he needs time to settle in.  He was better than he was in St. Louis.”


Nelson turned in his second quality start of the season.  Hamilton’s run was the only blemish on his record. He navigated seven innings on five hits. He didn’t walk a batter.

Zack Cozart was the only Reds’ hitter fo solve him with three singles.  Peraza had a meaningless single in the third.

Nelson allowed the Chicago Cubs one run in six innings of his last start.  It was a no-decision for him.  The Brewers won 3-2 in 11 innings.

 “Nelson was really good. He was pounding his fastball for strikes with good location,” Price said.

Drew Storen and Blake Astin continued the Reds’ bullpen dominance with three scoreless innings. two by Astin.  After having one of baseball's worst bullpens this time last year, the Reds pen has  In 2016 the Reds bullpen allowed a Major League Baseball high of 103 home runs allowed.  This season they have allowed none in 10 games.


No comments:

Post a Comment