About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Giants Pick On The Little Guys Maul Cody Reed And Reds




This one wasn’t fair. 

World Series hero Madison Bumgarner against Cody Reed and it resulted in a14-2 shellacking which actually was an improvement over the 22-4 debacle in Las Vegas on Sunday in which the Reds were mauled  and galled by the Chicago Cubs.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Reed gave up some dinks and dunks in the first inning when the Giants scored two.  One ground ball hit a base in the second inning that led to a run.  Reed plunked Buster Posey in the back to aid the Giants in scoring a third inning run. Bumgarner walked and Gorkys Hernandez, the number nine hitter doubled. 

Reed retired seven of the next eight but the fourth inning was a seven-run nightmare.  Reed was hit hard.

Reed gave up 10 runs on 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings.

Reed had a string of good games until Monday. He shut out the Los Angeles’ in a 5 2/3 inning stint on Tuesday against the Los Angels. He allowed one hit in that game.

“I got behind a couple times,” Reed said. “I thought I snuck a couple strikes inside, That’s been my strength the last, three or four times out. I thought I snuck a couple in that weren’t called. That’s how the game is, not to make excuses. When I got behind a Major League lineup. I made more mistakes than they did. They took advantage of me. That might be the worst, I’ve ever been hit around, even from last year.”

“I hit Panik in the back with a fastball,” Reed said. “I haven’t hit anyone with a fastball in awhile and I hit him square in the back. The line drive by Posey hit me in the thumb of my glove and knocked it off.”

Baumgarner allowed four hits in seven innings. Elizalde hit a single and double off Baumgarner. Iribarren singled and scored on Turner’s first home run of the spring.

This turn through the rotation was tough on six of the seven pitchers trying to nail down the open rotation slots.

Reed allowed 10 runs in 3 2/3 on Monday.

Tim Adleman allowed six runs in 3 1/3 innings on Sunday in Las Vegas.

Robert Stephenson was hit for four runs in four innings on Saturday in Las Vegas.

Sal Romano had his worst outing, giving up seven runs, five earned in 4 2/3 innings on Friday against the Brewers.

Amir Garrett gave up six runs in five frames on Saturday to Oakland.

Rookie Davis was tagged for five runs, three earned in 4 2/3 innings on Sunday against Seattle.
Only veteran Bronson Arroyo escaped by allowing two runs in four innings against the White Sox on Thursday.

Arroyo will pitch in a minor league game on Tuesday and another here in Goodyear on April 2, joining the team in Cincinnati, if he earns a roster spot.

Scott Feldman, the Opening Day starter, will pitch on Tuesday against the Los Angeles Dodgers
The other pitcher with a guaranteed spot barring injury, Brandon Finnegan, will start the Reds’ last Cactus League game against Cleveland on Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment