About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Mariners Dry Dock The Reds






Rookie Davis homered in perhaps his last Cactus League start but his defense let him down in the Reds 7-6 loss to the Seattle Mariners on Sunday.

Davis gave up five runs in 4 2/3 innings but a pair of throwing errors by Hernan Iribarren allowed two runs to score.  On the plus side, Adam Duvall robbed Danny Valencia of a home run leading off the fourth inning.

Taylor Motter of Seattle belted a two-run home run after Davis issued his lone walk to start the second.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Jose Peraza led off the game with a home run that he didn’t see  The sky is so high here that fly balls are difficult to follow.  Peraza stopped at second before umpire Alan Porter signaled that the ball cleared the leftfield fence . Desmond Jennings and Davis homered off Drew Smyly, the Mariners’ starter in the second.

Carlos Ruiz double with two outs in the fourth.  He scored on Ben Gamel’s single.  After Tyler Smith singled, Iribarren’s first throwing error allowed Gamel to score.

Peraza, hitting .350 this spring, beat out an infield hit. He scored from first on Zack Cozart’s double.

The Mariners’ fifth run scored after Kyle Seager doubled and moved to third on a wild pitch by Blake Wood, Iribarren’s second wild throw allowed Seager to score.

The Reds answered.

A single by Scott Schebler sandwiched between walks to Adam Duvall and Jennings set up the Reds fifth run.  Iribarren’s sacrifice fly tied the game.

The Mariners scored a pair of eighth inning runs off minor league pitcher,Lucas Benenati.  Chad Wallach homered off James Pazos to complete the scoring.

Davis started his fifth Cactus League game having allowed four earned runs in 11 innings.

“I was fighting fastball command all day. I thought the third, fourth and fifth innings were better,” Davis said. “Aside from the home run, I threw a lot of first pitch fastballs that they ambushed a little bit. I need to make better pitches down in the strike zone.”

The body of work has put Davis in good position to make the team, whether the team makes the decision to promote him directly from Double A is another matter to be determined in the next four days.

“I feel like I’ve gone out and competed every time,” Davis said. “It was an emphasis of mine to enjoy it and compete. I put myself in the best position possible.  Today was one of those days, you have to fight. I had to battle through it. I put myself in a good position. It’s out of my hands now. Wherever, I am it is going to be the same mindset; go out and compete every time.”

Davis didn’t think the home run was a big deal.

“I saw a fastball up and put a good swing on it,” Davis.  “I very rarely swing at the first pitch. I saw a fastball up and tried to put a good swing on it.”

“I thought Rookie was pretty good. He didn’t have his curveball,” Price said. “He was having an issue with his nail that spiked his curveball. He went fastball, slider. I liked his stuff.”

Ryan Raburn bruised his hip getting back to first on a pickoff attempt.

“He’s a little banged up,’ Price said.  “He’s in the lineup tomorrow.  We’ll see if he can go.”“



No comments:

Post a Comment