About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Bronson Arroyo Helps Come Back Cause





The White Sox won the game against the Reds, 4-2

Bronson Arroyo pitched the planned four innings and felt good after the outing.  Results are less important than to be pain free in his elbow and shoulder.

“I felt really crisp the first three innings,” Arroyo said. “The fourth inning I got a little bit tired. I’m getting in shape. It felt like a regular spring game where I’m getting built up. Today has proven that my body can handle whatever we throw at it. It just a matter of getting in shape. I’m feeling no discomfort, tightness or anything in my shoulder and elbow. It’s all forearm just getting the ball over the plate.”

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Arroyo allowed two runs on a home run by Nicky Delmonico in his last inning.  He allowed three doubles but one was a blooper by Peter Bourjos that he hustled into a two-base hit. Arroyo walked one and struck out two

The 40-year old veteran isn’t taking any chances. He does not want to get hit with the ball back up the middle, like Tim Adleman has three times in his last four outings.

“I pitched in the whole game, except one curveball to Todd Frazier,” Arroyo said. “I didn’t want to get hit with a line drive. I only pitched to one side of the plate which makes you feel like your back is against the wall because they’ve seen all your pitches inside. They were jamming themselves and hitting weak ground balls. I feel at this point getting the work in is more important than results.  Most times when they hit the ball back through the middle it is an outside pitch that they are waiting on longer. I’m not on a guaranteed contract. If I get hit, like I did in 2013 and I thought I broke my hand, my career would be over.”

The Reds couldn’t solve White Sox starter Jose Quintana. The lefty allowed two hits in seven innings. A single by Jose Peraza and a double by Beau Amaral.

The Reds got back in the game against Zack Burdi in the eighth.  When the minor leaguers took over.  The normal second tier are either in minor league camp getting ready for their season or being saved for Saturday and Sunday when the Reds have split-squad games.

Hernan Iribarren, who is in the running for a bench spot, walked.  Minor leaguer Eric Jagielo singled.  After Josh VanMeter struck out. Stuart Turner walked to load the bases.  The Reds’ second pick in the draft last year, Singled home Iribarren and Jagielo..

Blake Astin pitched a scoreless inning.

Delmonico drove in his third run of the game with a double off Blake Wood that scored Todd Frazier from first base.

Matt Davidson got one of the Reds’ 8th inning runs back with a single off Wandy Peralta that scored Jose Abreu.

The final score wasn’t important.  The Reds are hoping that Arroyo can stabilize the starting rotation.
“Bronson looked like regular Bronson. It’s hard to tell that this is the guy that missed so much time with elbow and shoulder surgery,” Price said. “It warms my heart. I’ll be terribly honest with you. It makes me feel a lot better for him to be in the big leagues this year.”

The other roster choices are becoming clearer for Price but the organization will have input.

“It is getting clearer for me but it is going to be more than my opinion on what the best mixture of players is,” Price said.  “It never hurts to see these kids make a nice play defensively or make a difference in a small way.  It is the ability to go first to third. It’s a dirt read (a pitched ball in the dirt that a base runner has to decide whether to risk advancing or not),  It’s hitting the cut off man with a deep throw from the outfield. It may come down to a memory of something these guys competing for a spot did right. It’s that close. It really is.  It is going to be a challenge it really will be.”

Desmond Jennings has a hip abductor. Jennings is trying to win a bench job.

“We’ll look at him tomorrow,” Price said. “I’d much rather have him play through the finish line healthy instead of trying to gimp in at 80 percent.”

No comments:

Post a Comment