About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Dilson Herrera Drops Out Of WBC With Shoulder Inflammation






Dilson Herrera has dropped out of the World Baseball Classic citing shoulder inflammation.

The 23-year old came to the Reds’ from the New York Mets for Jay Bruce.  He is competing with Jose Peraza for the secondbase job vacated by the trade of Brandon Phillips to the Atlanta Braves.

Herrera was a member of Team Colombia but is recovering from late season shoulder problems suffered at the end of last season.

“I made general statements about having young players in camp to show how they fit in but I would never ask a player not to represent his country,” Reds’ manager Bryan Price said.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Herrera is cleared to hit and will be the designated hitter against the Cleveland Indians on Saturday. 

“For now he is shutdown from throwing,” Price said.  “He is fine to hit but is not ok to defend and throw.  It doesn’t make any sense for him to play defense for us or the WBC,  He won’t start to throw until Monday or Tuesday of next week.  He can take groundballs to work on mechanics and footwork.  He has taken groundballs at third but not throwing.”

Herrera got treatment on Friday and took batting practice.

“I’m not frustrated,” Herrera said.  ‘We have to be ready for everything.”

Herrera’s shoulder acted up last spring.

‘I started to feel it last year in spring training,” Herrera said.. “I did my exercises and started to play in the league.  After I started fielding again, I finished my season normal.”

Herrera was pain free coming to camp this year, intending to play for Colombia but felt the same sore feeling last week.

“This year I felt it a week ago,” Herrera said..  “I’m sad that I can’t play in the WBC but it is important to get ready for the season and stay healthy.”

Herrera hit a combined .274 in 114 games between Triple A Las Vegas and Louisville.  He hit 15 home runs with 64 RBI.

No comments:

Post a Comment