About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hernan Iribarren Joins Reds After Long And Winding Road





Hernan Iribarren learned a lot on his tough road back to the Major Leagues.

"I am not the same player or person that I was then in 2008 and 2009," Iribarren said on Sunday after the 32-year old was added to the Reds roster.  Daniel Wright was designated for assignment to make room for the International League's leading hitter at .327.  "I'm more mature now. I didn't work hard then."

Iribarren played 12 games in 2008 and 12 more in 2009 with Milwaukee, hitting a meager .185.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I thank God for this opportunity. I had a torn ACL in my left knee in 2011. I thought my career was over," Iribarren said. "It has been a long hard ride."

Iribarren played every position except catcher in Louisville this season.  He even pitched in four games. In 3 2/3 innings Iribarren allowed just one base runner on a hit by pitch.and struck out one batter.

After two years in the Colorado organization, the Reds signed him three straight years as an organizational player, those added to fill out roles among minor league prospects.

"Hernan gives us a left handed hitter off the bench," Bryan Price said before the game but Brandon Phillips was scratched and Iribarren was placed in the starting lineup.  "He had a fantastic year at Louisville.  He's not going to take away at bats from the guys in our future.  We saw him a few times in spring when he came over for games.  Delino (DeShields) and Bill Doran gave rave reviews. He was considered earlier when we needed a player. It would have been easier if he would have been on the roster."

Jose Perazza is starting in leftfield to give Adam Duvall a rest. Perazza is hitting .323 on the season.

Brandon Phillips fouled a ball off his foot on Friday and is sitting out the second straight game after he was scratched from the original lineup.

No comments:

Post a Comment