About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Deja Vu The Reds Revert To Early Season Form




The Pittsburgh Pirates made Anthony DeSclafani walk the plank and his teammates soon followed  Pittsburgh embarrassed the error prone Reds 10-4 in a makeup game that was originally scheduled for May 10.

The Reds reverted to the awful team they were in the first two months of the season.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Matt Joyce walked to start the game. Josh Bell doubled. Andrew McCutchen singled to start the scoring with two runs.  Jung Ho Kang walked and Francisco Cervelli drove in a run with a single. Sean Rodriguez collected the third walk of the inning to load the bases.  Alen Hanson hit a ground ball to Brandon Phililips and it looked like a double play ball but Phillips booted it as Kang scored.  Hanson was credited with his first career RBI.

Jose Perazza singled off Pitsburgh rookie starter Jameson Taillon,  Perazza stole second and Joey Votto walked both runners were stranded. Perazza, who had three hits, drove in a sixth inning run with a ground out.

The game was marred by six errors, three by each team.

Tucker Barnhart reached on an error by the shortstop Rodriguez with two outs.  Barnhart tried to score on DeSclafani's double but was thrown out easily at the plate.

Rodriguez hit his 15th home run of the season after another Phillips error to give the Pirates a 6-0 lead.

Adam Duvall cut the lead in half with his 31st home run after singles by Perazza and Hernan Iribarren singled.

DeSclafani left after four innings.  Keyvius Sampson relieved DeSclafani.  He walked two batters and Taillon singled to center to drive in his first career run.

"I felt like crap today," DeSclafani said. "I didn't get any momentum going. I put us in a hole early. I take full responsibility.  I didn't feel sharp. I should feel strong. I hurt myself with walks and wasn't able to minimize the damage."

The Pirates added an unearned run in the sixth when Duvall dropped a fly ball to allow a run to score.  They added two more against Abel De Los Santos, who walked Hanson and John Jaso, then allowed a double to Bell and a sacrifice fly by McCutchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment