About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Tucker Barnhart's Grand Slam Sinks Marlins





Tucker Barnhart had never hit a grand slam in his career until he launched a pitch by Jose Urena into the rightfield bleachers at Great American Ball Park as the Reds evened the series with a 6-3 win over the Miami Marlins.

Barnhart's seventh home run of the year broke a tie forged by a bases loaded walk to Ivan De Jesus Jr.,who started in place of the injured Brandon Phillips.

Anthony DeSclafani wanted to bounce back after his lone loss of the season in his last start, despite a quality start of six innings, three runs.  Martin Prado doubled for his fourth hit of the series and scored on Christian Yellich's bloop single. 

DeSclafani rolled his ankle in the fourth inning after reaching on a walk.  He had to change directions on a line drive to short that turned into a double play.


http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I rolled my ankle a little bit. It's swollen and sore right now. But I've rolled it in games before and knew if I moved around and kept it loose I would be o.k," DeSclafani said.. "I'm glad I was able to get quick outs. Cozart made a great play that always helps. We had a big lead so I didn't have to be so fine."

With two outs and the bases empty Joey Votto, Eugenio Suarez and Scott Scheble singled to load the bases.  De Jesus walked on a 3-2 pitch and Barnhart homered on a 1-0 pitch.

 "He (Urena) throws a lot of fastballs," Barnhart said.. "I got ahead in the count. The ball got in on me a little bit but I got enough of it."
On his current streak


"There were a lot of things that had to happen with two outs to get to Barny," Bryan Price said.. "He gives you an at bat you can trust. You can let him swing 3-0, you can trust him to take a pitch and hit and run in certain situations. He can handle the bat well enough to be that first catcher."

The home run extended Barnhart's hitting streak to 12 games.

"I don't hit in the cage as much as I did early in the season. I just take batting practice and get loose," Barnhart said. "It's the time of the year where you start to feel it (fatigue) a little bit.".
Miami scored when Dee Gordon singled, stole second, advanced to third on a ground out. He scored on a balk by DeSclafani.

Votto's sacrifice fly drove in Tony Renda, who started in leftfield.  Renda singled; moved to second on a walk to Zack Cozart and to third on a wild pitch.

Raisel Iglesias pitched two innings and gave up a home run to Christian Yellich, his 13th.  Iglesias had allowed a total of six singles to hitters in their last 51 at bats.

Tony Cingrani entered in the ninth inning trying to earn his 14th save.  Cingrani gave up a triple to Ichiro Suzuki.  It was the last Major League ballpark in which he was hitless.  After walk to Adeiny Hechavarria, Cingrani got Chris Johnson to hit into a double play to end the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment