About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Reds Select Nick Senzel 3B Tennessee With First Pick






The Reds selected University of Tennessee thirdbaseman Nick Senzel with its first pick.

The Reds had the second choice behind the Philadelphia Phillies in the draft as teams select in inverse order of their win/loss percentage.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Senzel played three seasons with the Volunteers after graduating from Farragut High School in Knoxville. He is 6'1" and weighs in at 205 lbs.  Senzel is a right-handed batter. He hit .352 with eight home runs and 59 RBI in 57 games in his just completed junior season


"We’re really excited, this is the guy we wanted. He’s a very polished player, one of the better hitters, if not the best hitter, in the draft," Chris Buckley said, the Reds director of amateur scouting. "We think his power will improve the more he plays. He’s a complete player, runs, throws and plays his position well." 

Senzel, pronounced sen ZEL as in Denzel Washington, was at home with his parents when his agents told him the Reds were going to call his name.  "I was emotional but I didn't tell my father, (Jeff) so he could watch my name called on TV."

Senzel was not drafted out of Farragut High School but credited the tough competition in the SEC allowed him to mature and grow physically stronger.  He played in the prestigious Cape Cod League where college players play in the summer using wooden bats, instead of the metal bats used at the high school and college level.

"I am ready," Senzel said.  "There is business to take care of but I have the best team (Scott Boras) and they will let me know when its taken care of and I can get started playing baseball this summer."

Senzel has played all the infield positions but mostly thirdbase this season at UT..

"I will play where ever they tell me to," Senzel said.

Analyst compared him to Scot Rolen.  "That's crazy," Senzel said.  "He was one of the all time greats for the Reds.  I wasn't a Reds' fan necessarily but I am now."
 
 
 

Click link below:

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/nick_senzel_865152.html 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment