About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Adam Duvall Waits 64 To Beat The Nationals




Adam Duvall contemplated his at bat against Shawn Kelley for 64 minutes before belting a three-run home run to break the tie and send the Reds to a fourth straight win, 6-3.

"I didn't take a whole lot of swings. I didn't want to burn myself our or over analyze the at bat," Duvall said. "I try not to put too much pressure on myself. I just tried to stay short and drive it up the middle."

Steven Strasburg is finally reaching the level consistent with his hype.  Strasburg was the first player selected in the 2009 draft.  This season he is 9-0 with a 2.69 ERA to start the game but Dan Straily was his equal..

"It was fun," Strailey said of facing off against Strasburg, who remains 9-0 on the year.  "He was the first pick in the draft I was in. I was picked 722 players later. I believe in myself but you have to do it. I'm just taking advantage of the opportunity. I had some success at 23 now that my shoulder strength is back. I'm a pitcher rather than a thrower."

He struck out his mound opponent, Straily, for his 1,000th strike out.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Anthony Rendon hit his fifth home run of the season with Wilson Ramos on base to put Straily at a 2-0 disadvantage in the second inning.

Jay Bruce answered with his 12th home run, leading off the bottom of the second.

Strasburg struck out eight of the next 14 batters but walked Zack Cozart, leading off the sixth.  Joey Votto's 10th home run followed and the Reds' seized the lead.

While pitching to the next batter Brandon Phillips, Strasbiurg appeared to be in pain but stayed in the game after a couple warm up pitches.  Phillips became Strasburg's 10th strikeout victim but Bruce singled to chase Strasburg.

Blake Treinen took over to keep the Nationals close.

Straily walked two of the next 17 batters but both were thrown out stealing by Tucker Barnhart.  Straily left for pinch hitter Kyle Waldrop after his second seven inning stint of the year.  He allowed two hits and two walks and struck out two.


Danny Espinosa tied the game with a line drive home run into the Nationals off Ross Ohlendorf on a 3-0 pitch.  It was the eighth of the season for Espinosa.

Joey Votto walked with one out and Bruce singled him to third against Felipe Rivero with two outs.  Rivero was removed for Shawn Kelley as the rain forced a second rain delay of 64 minutes. Duvall hit the fourth pitch from Kelley for his 16th home run.

Tony Cingrani pitched a scoreless ninth for his fifth save.




No comments:

Post a Comment