About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Daniel Wright Expected To Start Tuesday In Los Angeles




The Reds scratched Daniel Wright from his scheduled start at Louisville on Saturday to allow him to start in place of Tim Adleman on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Adleman went on the disabled list on Saturday with a strained left oblique.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Daniel Wright is a 24-year old right-hander from Bartlett, Tennessee. The Reds picked him with the 10th selection in the 2013 out of Arkansas State where he majored in engineering.

Wright was 10-11 for Double A Pensacola last season with a 4.53 ERA in 27 starts.  He started this season in Pensacola where he made six relief appearances and two starts.  His record there was 2-0 with an 0.45 ERA in 20 innings. Wright walked just four and struck out a hefty 22.

The 6'2" 205 pounder was promoted to Louisville on May 10.


Wright had two starts with Louisville where he is 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA. He threw a complete game in the Bats 4-1 win over Scranton-Wilkes Barre on May 16.

 The Reds have had two pitchers complete seven innings this season. One was Robert Stephenson, who is also at Louisville. The other was a 7 2/3 inning game by Alfredo Simon in his only win of the year.

Wright walked one and struck out 10 in 14 innings at Louisville.  Batters were hitting .143 against him and he has a WHIP (walks and hits per innings pitched) of 0.57.

"It's a dream come true," Wright said. "I started in Double A as a reliever.  I got a couple of starts replacing Nick Travieso, when he went down with a groin injury. I did well in those starts. An opportunity opened up where I could start a couple games in Louisville."

Wright didn't expect to be in Cincinnati at all this summer.  Robert Stephenson and Cody Reed are the hot Reds' prospects for the Major League rotation.

"I got settled in in Louisville and found a place to live. I was expecting to be there for awhile. This opportunity came up,  Luckily I'm getting a chance."

Wright was no where on the Reds' radar when they started spring training.  He was in the minor league camp the entire time.

"There has been a lot of turnover in the system this year.  A lot of guys got the opportunity. I heard that nine guys have made their Major League debut with the Reds this year. They told us in minor league camp there would be a lot of opportunity this year. I just tried to go out every time on the mound and throw well."

Wright doesn't have a radar gun busting fastball but has shown he knows how to pitch. The strikeout totals above indicate a power arm but Wright knows his limitations.

"I'm a control pitcher. I'm not going to blow people away with the fastball. I try to locate on both sides of the plate and throw off speeds when I need to and not for strikes when I need to.  When you're in the zone early and get ahead of hitters the strikeouts tend to come.  That's my style I try to get ahead so. I'm not pitching behind in count because I don't necessarily have the stuff to get away with it."

Wright was a member of the 2007 Bartlett High School Panthers baseball team that won the Tennessee 3A state title.

"I got the call up to the varsity squad to be the chart guy (chart pitches)," Wright said. "I charted the games for the state championship. I didn't actually get in the games but it was pretty exciting to be there. My junior and senior year, we were able to get back to the state tournament."


No comments:

Post a Comment