About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Scott Schebler Growing Into Major League Leftfielder





Scott Schebler was a runt in high school only, 175lbs with athletic ability

Schebler played everything he could at Prairie High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Schebler played wideout and safety on his High School team but his size only got him walk on offers from Iowa and Iowa State.  He drew that much attention by setting school records in the 55-meter sprint.

"Football got the most attention and I'm a very competitive person, so it was my favorite," Schebler said.  'Any kid who can run can play soccer, it was my second choice."

Schebler didn't even play baseball in the summer until Dan Fitzgerald, a coach at Des Moines Area Community College, convinced him to play in a summer showcase.  Schebler grew into his body and learned to hit with power.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"My dad apologized to me when I was younger," Schbler said. "He was a late bloomer too.  It wasn't until I was 22 that I started to gain muscle and strength. It was just a matter of getting noticed. I can thank Dan Fitzgerald for that."

Schebler now 6' tall and a solid 225 pounds.  He gained enough attention from the Los Angeles Dodgers for them to make take a chance by drafting him in the 26th round in 2010.

Schebler led the Southern League with 28 home runs and 14 triples while hitting .280.  Last year the Dodgers promoted Schebler to Oklahoma City where he hit 13 home runs.  He added three home runs in September when he was promoted to the Major Leagues.

The Reds obtained the 26-year old left-handed hitter in the three-way trade involving Todd Frazier.

"I'm enjoying this camp.  I'm becoming familiar with the guys here," said Schebler, who can compete with Billy Hamilton for speed in speech as well as running speed.  "I played with Jesse Winker's brother (in the Dodgers organization) and played with a lot of the players here in the minor leagues."

Schebler has a good shot at winning the leftfield job for the Reds and if not could be a fourth outfielder with his ability to play all three outfield positions although his arm is more suited for leftfield.

'"He has speed and is athletic," Bryan Price said.  "We could play him some in center but I see him as more of a corner outfielder better suited for left."

No comments:

Post a Comment