About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Michael Lorenzen Gets Good News






Good News For Lorenzen

Good news for the Reds and Michael Lorenzen followed the drum roll in the Reds clubhouse on Tuesday morning.

An MRI revealed that Lorenzen has a mild sprain of his ulnar collateral ligament of his right elbow and some tendonitis.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
The candidate for multi roles on the Reds’ pitching staff will rest for now. He will be examined by Dr. Timothy Kremchek on Thursday.

“It’s not good news or bad news,” Lorenzen said. “It’s just news. I knew God was in control of the situation. All he cares about is how went about it. It is good news because I get to help out the Reds, this year.”

Until Lorenzen sees Kremchek, he doesn’t know how his treatment will go.

“You won’t see me playing catch,” Lorenzen said.

The pain lingered a couple weeks and wasn’t getting better.

“You never feel 100 percent when you pitch,” Lorenzen said. “Throwing baseball is so unnatural. It just doesn’t happen. It wasn’t anything I hadn’t dealt with before but it wasn’t getting better. It wasn’t worth being a spring training all-star. It is better to rest it in spring training.”

Lorenzen plans to watch film and observe other players during camp.

“The mental side of the game is more important than the physical side of the game. There is a lot of things that I can do mentally. Just because I can’t do anything physically doesn’t mean that I can’t get better.”

Mesoraco Ready

Devin Mesoraco has two more days to wait for a “can’t wait” event. The ailing catcher has done all the drills, checked the boxes. He will be in the lineup on Thursday when the Reds play the Indians.

Unlike Billy Hamilton, who is sharing DH duties with Kyle Waldrop against the World Champion Kansas City Royals, Mesoraco is going to catch in his first game back.

“He will by Cozart. He’ll start with a light workload in regard to innings played.” Bryan Price sais. “He will catch a few innings on the front end and work up to back-to-back days and be ready for the season.”

Mesoraco is ready.

“I feel great. I’ve done everything, the catching drills, running the bases, hitting,” Mesoraco said. “It’s been a long, slow process and not a lot of fun. I miss being on the field with the guys.”

Hamilton and Waldrop DH

Billy Hamilton will start the game against the Royals as the designated hitter. He has been slowed all spring by aches and pains in his surgically repaired shoulder. The Reds are trying to make certain the speedster is as free of pain as possible.

“Billy’s pain free now,” Price said.

Kyle Waldrop had a strained groin that has kept him out of games.

“Waldrop will share the DH with Billy today. Kyle will get in the outfield in the next day or two,” Price said.

Duvall Plays Thirdbase

Adam Duvall is squarely in the mix for the open leftfield spot but the Reds are giving him a chance to diversify.

Duvall played mostly thirdbase in the Giants system but switched to firstbase, then leftfield.

“The Giants moved me from third because they had Pablo Sandoval,” Duvall said. “While I was up with the Giants, Brandon Belt with a series of concussions was hurt and I got a chance to play firstbase.

Duvall played secondbase and shortstop for the University of Louisville Cardinals as a collegian.

“Last year I played a lot of third and a lot of first. I started mixing in some outfield,” Duvall said.

Duvall has been taking ground balls at third but has mostly worked in the outfield.

“I feel really good out there it kind of came natural. I’m excited about it,” Duvall said. “I’ve been working more in the outfield because that’s the position is open right now, that I’m competing for. Versatility always helps. I hope I can play well wherever they need me.”


No comments:

Post a Comment