About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Raisel Iglesias Keelhauls Pirates




Cuba was never a safe haven for Pirates. A Cuban born starter, closer and catcher chased the Buccaneers from the banks of the Ohio River.

Iglesias, a member of the Reds' new "Kiddie Korp", punished the Pittsburgh Pirates in swashbuckling fashion 4-3.

Iglesias allowed just four hits in 6 2/3 innings, one of which was a home run by Jung Ho Kang  The 25-year old Cuban native retired nine straight batters between Kang's eighth homer and Neil Walker's two-out single in the seventh.

"I was upset at the moment that Kang hit the home run," Iglesias said. "I knew I made a mistake with the location (of the pitch). I told myself to refocus."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
His mates, especially Eugenio Suarez, provided the offense.

Marlon Byrd tripled past Andrew McCutchen to open the second inning. Suarez brought him home with a long fly to centerfield.  Byrd singled with one out in the fourth and advanced on Brayan Pena's single. Suarez doubled Byrd home. Brandon Phillips opened the fifth with a single. He scored on a double by Jay Bruce, his sixth straight game with at least one RBI (11 total). Suarez drove in Bruce in the eighth after Bruce hit his second double of the game. Bruce raised his average to a season-high .260.
Order Amazon at right

"Suarez did a nice job. He got to two strikes but found a way to get the run home," Bryan Price said. "He is finding ways to be productive."

The Reds chased 14-game winner Gerritt Cole after five innings. The Reds have hung three of Cole's ffive losses on him. He started the game 0-4 lifetime against Cincinnati.

http://pro-ball.com/
Iglesias retired the first two batters in the seventh before Walker's single. He issued his second walk of the game to Pedro Alvarez. Pinch hitter Travis Ishikawa hit a smash back through the box that Iglesias got a glove on but couldn't stop on its way to short center.  Burke Badenhop struck out pinch hitter Francisco Cervelli to end threat.

"It is a learning experience, but regardless of age, they have to learn how to pitch out of jams," Price said. "I'm not going to force feed them innings. They have to earn them but we can't keep throwing them life preservers.

"I'm happy that I went deeper in the game to save our bullpen," said Iglesias through Brayan Pena's interpretation. It was huge. It shows they trust me. When Jeff Pico came out I looked at the scoreboard to see a had over 100 pitches. I am earning trust little by little."

Aroldis Chapman entered to earn his 22nd save and seal the win for his fellow countryman after a little two-out drama.  Chapman gave up three broken bat singles in the ninth, allowing one run but struck out Starling Marte with the bases loaded.



Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120



No comments:

Post a Comment