About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Hometown Prospect Kyle Schwarber Wins The MVP Award In The Future's Game






Kyle Schwarber's homecoming was the best it could be.

In front of a group of 100 family and friends, Schwarber hit a two-run triple and threw out Ketel Marte stealing to earn the Most Valuable Player Award at the Future's Game, the annual showcase for young Major League prospects.

The U.S. Future Stars defeated the Future Stars of the World, 10-1.  It was Schwarber's triple that gave the U.S. team the lead for good.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Schwarber who spent his summers playing baseball and falls playing football at Middletown High School go his bat into the National Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York.

"It was awesome to get that award (MVP) but it was a team award," Schwarber said.  "It was just awesome to play in a game here. I have been in the stands before but when I stepped on the field  My eyes lit up. The Hall of Fame asked for my bat. Now it's there for eternity. I was on the first team from Ohio to win a tournament there (in Cooperstown) when I was younger."

Schwarber was picked by the Cubs in the first round of the draft out of Indiana University.  He signed on June 10.  Fifty-three weeks later he made his Major League debut with the Chicago Cubs.  He struck out in his first at bat against Cleveland but in his first start the next day, Schwarber had four hits in five at-bats, including a triple in the Cubs 17-0 win over the Indians.  The next day he hit his first home run.

http://pro-ball.com/
"I think I have a knack for triples," Schwarber said. "My first hit in Double A and Triple A were triples. I hit one for the Cubs and had this one here."

Schwarber knew he was just with the Cubs for a brief period when he went to Chicago.

"I wasn't disappointed," Schwarber said.  "I knew I was just going to DH a few games and try to help the team as much as I could."

Schwarber recalls being on the only Greater Miami Conference team to beat arch-rival Colerain as a Middletown Middies linebacker.

"We had a close game with them the next year. We lost 10-7," Schwarber recalls.
Order Amazon at right

The 22-year old catcher will have a lot of winning memories judging by the last year.


No comments:

Post a Comment