About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jay Bruce Gets A Day Off







Jay Bruce has struggled before but this is rediculous..

After appearing in his 100th game on Thursday and going 0-for-4, manager Bryan Price is giving Bruce a day off.

Bruce did put a scare into the Giants by hitting a 400 ft. fly ball with the bases loaded in the first inning but unfortunately, he needed to hit it 402 ft., thus the ball was caught by Angel Pagan.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
“It’s a day off," Price said.  I’ve got to find my days for the other guys, too. I want to get Boesch in this series, too, get him a start. I have to pick my times with these guys, and sometimes, if it’s a tougher matchup, then I’ll do that. Nothing to read into other than a day off against a tough lefty.”

Kristopher Negron the Reds' Swiss Army Knife will get the start and bat eighth.

Bruce's struggles have continued six weeks into the season. He is hitting..162 with five home runs and 16 RBI but hasn't driven in a run in 10 games.  He is 2-for-15 in the first four games of this home stand. Surprisingly, his 16 RBI are tied with Zack Cozart for third on the team.

The Reds keep waiting for that hot streak in which Bruce carries the team for six weeks.

Order Amazon at right

“Maybe it’s just having to have that big night," Price said. "I think sometimes this game is such a mental and emotional beatdown. It really is. He’s accountable. He knows that he’s a big key to our ballclub and when he’s not performing at the level of his history, we’re not as good a team. He would be the type of guy I’m sure who would be beating himself up about not hitting better than he has, so what I would love to see is him hit a couple of balls. He’s crushed a couple of balls the last week to the wall. That would be a difference-maker for him personally. I’d love to see one of those games – hit a homer and a double and drive in five and then just keep his going. With all the work he’s put in, I just think he needs a couple of days of positive results to get back on top of his game.”

No comments:

Post a Comment