About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Defense Lets Reds Down As Indians Complete Sweep






Throughout the Reds ghastly eight-game losing streak the defense has been pretty good but on Sunday the Indians took advantage of three Reds errors to post a 5-2 win and sixth straight for the Tribe.

"We saved our very worst game for when we needed our very best," Bryan Price said. "It was the worst game of the series, the worst game of the year. I apologize to anyone who drove up to see this game."

"We have to keep it in perspective," said Joey Votto. "We have to avoid the loser mentality. When you get used to losing and surprised when you win, you're a loser."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Raisel Iglesias started in place of the stiff and sore Johnny Cueto.for the Reds

"I loved the way he competed," Price said. "He gave us every thing he had. I had to get him out of there because he had 84 pitches."

The Indians broke a scoreless tie in the third inning with the aid of some bad bounces and bad plays by the Reds.

The Cleveland hitters wore the young Cuban right-hander down.

"I feel like I threw the ball well. They (Cleveland) really battled. In the end I was pleased with the start but I'm not totally happy with my job. I wanted to pitch longer to give my team more innings."

With runners on first and second, one out, David Murphy's hard grounder to a big hop that got off Joey Votto's glove and rolled into short rightfield scoring Carlos Santana, who doubled and sending Brandon Moss to third.  Nick Swisher sent a potential double play ball that bounced off the heal of Brandon Phillps, who was charged with an error. Moss scored the second run.

"There is too much talent on this team to play this way," Price said. "It's a cyclical thing and it will end. Physical mistakes are physical mistakes. This game stands out because it was so hideous."

Votto was surprised the Reds played this poorly today.

"It always surprises me when we're not the best defensive team on the field," Votto said.

http://pro-ball.com/
The Reds put runners on base in the first three innings off Trevor Bauer but Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier flied out to end innings in which the Reds put runners in scoring position with two outs.

Iglesias left after three innings and 84 pitches. He allowed two runs, one earned on four hits and three walks. He struck out six.\

Votto doubled in the third. Bauer retired 12 straight batters.  Marlon Byrd hit his ninth home run and the first by the Reds on the five-game road trip.

The Indians scored two unearned runs against J.J. Hoover in the sixth.

Hoover couldn't field a soft comebacker to the mound by Yan Gomes.  Phillips botched his second groundball which was a very makeable double play ready to happen. Hoover walked Mike Aviles and Jason Kipnis to load the bases.  Santana ripped a fastball to right that just curved foul into the seats in right before he popped out.  It looked like Hoover had pitched out of the jam when Votto speared a hot smash behind first then threw the ball past Hoover as two runs scored.

Votto was unhappy with the play.

"I always try to think of what I can do better," Votto said. "I think of how I could have executed my part of the play better.
Order Amazon at right

The Indians hit five doubles for the game. They scored a run off a rusty Aroldis Chapman, who hadn't pitched since last Sunday to close out the scoring.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not so sure I see an end in sight....

    ReplyDelete