About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Reds Paul Maholm Once Struck Out Billy Crystal




http://donatelifeohio.org/

So this comedian walks into the batter's box.

Paul Maholm,who is trying to make the Reds team as a non-roster pitcher by getting some serious hitters out but once pitched against a batter that was outnot so serious.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
On March 13, 2008, Maholm struck out comedian/actor/producer and lifelong Yankee fan Billy Crystal.

The Yankees signed Crystal to an honorary contract and put him in the leadoff spot in an exhibition game lineup the day before his 60th birthday.  Maholm was the starting pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates that day.

"It was a circus. It was a no win situation for me, if he gets a hit," Maholm said. "I have to watch the video over and over.  He fouled one off actually."

Crystal had a 3-1 count after chopping a foul ball to first base.  We swung late and missed two cutters in the strikeout in his only at bat ever.

"It was fun.  I had fun with it. He had fun with it," Maholm recalled. "There were 60 or so press members that you never see.  We had to do a joint press conference in the dugout. It was different.  It was a cool experience to get to meet him.  I talked to him for a few minutes."






No comments:

Post a Comment