About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Princeton and UC Grad Josh Harrison An All-Star Include Video




http://donatelifeohio.org/






Josh Harrison was chosen to play in the 2014 All-Star game in Minneapolis by St. Louis Cardinal manager Mike Matheny, making his alma maters at Princeton High School and the University of Cincinnati proud.


The three-sport star for the Vikings didn't even think about being named to such a prestigious team.


http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I know I can play this game and that's what I concentrate on," Harrison said.  "It is not something that I ever thought about."


The news have left his family and friends excited and Harrison himself felling happy, blessed and overwhelmed.  It is exciting. There are a lot of things that go into it, like the phone calls and the texts. It is a blessing and exciting but tiring," Harrison said. "I'm looking forward to it but we have these next to games to try and win the series first."


The 26-year old came to the Pirates in a 2009 trade with the Chicago Cubs, who drafted him.  He spent part of the 2011 season with the Pirates.  Harrison was with the Pirates for all of the 2012 season and the first half of the 2013 season. 


Harrison filled in for the injured Neil Walker at secondbase and also plays thirdbase and the outfield.  He is currently hitting .292 in 77 games with five home runs and 27 RBI.


Harrison is from an athletic family that has excelled in baseball.  His uncle John Shelby played 11 seasons in the Major Leagues and coaches.  His older brother, Vince, spent five years in the minor leagues with Tampa Bay, Florida Marlins and the New York Mets.


Anyone who saw Billy Hamilton escape a tag attempt by Gabby Sanchez on Friday was impressed The Pirates weren't quite as impressed as they have seen their All-Star escape a trap against the New York Mets a couple weeks ago.  (See Video Below)







Harrison believes that playing multiple sports at Princeton helped him in the situation to trust his abilities.


Reds caricatures for sale fstopjd@fuse.net
"It was my athletic ability. I played football and basketball at Princeton," Harrison said. "Plus I played in the backyard with my brothers Vince and Shawn, where I had to get out of situations like that."

No comments:

Post a Comment