About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Skip Schumaker Activated From Disabled List.






The Reds activated Skip Schumaker, the team's lone off-season free agent signee, from the 15-day disabled list.

The veteran 34-year old utlilty player dislocated his shoulder diving for a ball in the outfield at Goodyear Ballpark on March 22.

Schumaker was hitting .441 with a home run and seven RBI with his new team when he was injured.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"It is tougher being injured when you come to a new team," Schumaker said. "You want to show your new teammates what you can do.  It was pretty frustrating being that late in the spring."

The Reds designated for assignment,  Roger Bernadina, who signed a minor league contract.  The Reds have 10 days to trade, release or place Bernadina on waivers.  He is out of options.

Bernadina hit .143 in 28 at bats for the Reds and was 1-for-11 as a pinch hitter with an RBI.

"I was a little surprised but I understand it," Bernadina said. "Schumaker is back.  I really didn't get into a groove here."

Bernadina hit .413 in the spring to earn a spot on the opening day roster.  He hit three home runs and drove in 11 runs this spring.

Schumaker feels that he is ready. He hasn't had to dive for a ball during his rehab but promises not to shy away from it.

"I'm not as worried about it as I was," Schumaker said.  "I'm not going to let a ball drop in.  I'm ready to go. I wouldn't jeopardize someone else's spot on the roster if I wasn't ready to go."

Schumaker provides more flexibility for manager Bryan Price. He is a left-handed hitter that can play multiple positions and has decent speed.

The Californias native played for the Los Angeles Dondgers last season. He played in 102 games divided between 2B (44gms, 34 starts), LF (35 gms, 14 starts), CF (29 games, 17 starts) and RF (18 gms, 8 starts). He hit .285 with two home runs (one off Bronson Arroyo) and drove in 30 runs.

Schumaker played eight seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals, appearing in three playoffs and one World Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment