About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Johnny Cueto Happy For Another Playoff Chance - Mat Latos Has Soreness






For the second year in a row the Reds' postseason pitching plans had to be scrapped early.

The Reds will start Johnny Cueto and not Mat Latos.

The Reds took great pains to set up the playoff pitching rotation to allow Latos to pitch Tuesday but the right elbow will not allow the 25-year old 14-game winner to pitch.

He informed Dusty Baker after the game on Saturday.

"Latos arm is barking a little bit," Dusty Baker said.  "We are hoping a couple of extra days off will have him ready for Atlanta (or St. Louis)."

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Cueto had to leave the playoffs after eight pitches in San Francisco last season after 19 during the year.  He spent much of this season on the disabled list but has been excellent in his last two starts.

"It is out of necessity," Baker said.  "Whoever gets the best pitched game, hits with runners in scoring position and plays the best fundamental defense will win the game in Pittsburgh.

Cueto is happy to get another chance after leaving the mound in San Francisco.

"It is a meaningful game but it is the same game. I am happy to be able to pitch in it," Cueto said through interpreter Tomas Vera.


Joey Votto is confident in Cueto.

"There is no question that Johnny Cueto is our ace, injured or not," Votto said.  "Mat Latos made great strides this year challenging to be the ace."

There were times when Baker thought he would never have Cueto and it is fortunate for the Reds to be able to call on Cueto when bone chips in the elbow caused Latos to be skipped.

"You never know how someone is going to heal," Baker said.  "The injured player himself doesn't know.  Latos has bone chips floating in his elbow.  Most pitchers have them and they move.  Some pitchers have pitched with them for years.  We are hoping Latos will be ready by Thursday.  We are thankful to have Johnny Cueto back.  He is one of the best competitors we have on the team. We have full faith in Johnny Cueto."

Latos told Baker he could pitch in relief on Tuesday but will not be on the roster that day.

"I didn't like that idea," Baker said.

Cueto admitted that he may have tried too hard to get ready for the Giants last October.

"It is the same game and I try to do everything the same, but looking back, I may have been so excited that I may have tried to do too much," said Cueto of his sore oblique that forced him to leave the mound last October 6.  "I don't know how I got hurt but it may have been from doing too much."

Greg Reynolds will start the season finale on Sunday.

Brandon Phillips will not play Sunday.  He fouled a ball off his left shin on Saturday and had to leave the game.

"I'm feeling much better now," Phillips said. "When it first happened it looked like an egg. I am looking forward to Tuesday.  I don't think I will be playing tomorrow.  If it was for the home field, I would have played."

"All my teammates came in to check on me.  I thought it was broke.  If Byrd would have thrown to first he would have got me.  I couldn't feel my toes."

Phillips was as disappointed as the fans that the Reds have to travel to Pittsburgh.

"It would have been nice to play at home in front of our fans.  I back up what Luddy said but it is up to us to supply the energy.  We put ourselves in this situation and it is up to us to get ourselves out of it."

Baker expects to pencil Phillips into the lineup at PNC Park.

"Brandon went home with a machine they gave him to use for special treatment," Baker said.  "

Baker will start the normal lineup but they won't play the entire game.

"I thought about not playing any of them but that's not fair to the fans," Baker said.  "We will get the other guys in early to get some at-bats.  We will need them in the playoffs.  As badly as things went this weekend, we should still be greatful that we are in the playoffs, instead of being down about it."

Tony Cingrani will go to Goodyear, Arizona to get stretched out in case he is needed later in the playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment