About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dusty Baker Laments The Lack Of Quick Thinking






As galling as the Reds four errors were in Saturday's loss to the San Diego Padres was, Dusty Baker was really upset about the poor base running judgement.

Xavier Paul was the runner on first base with Jay Bruce at third with no outs.  Devin Mesoraco at the plate and Jack Hannahan on deck.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
Paul took off "to force a cutoff" and was thrown out at second, a double play that short circuited a rally.

Baker is known a s a player's manager.  He doesn't rant and rave.  He rarely discusses mistakes in public or call out his players.

"I hate to call it dumb baseball because I don't like those terms," Baker said.  "It is the lack of quick thinking that bothers me.  It is something that is hard to teach.  It is thinking ahead or thinking while you're in the process."

Paul said, "It was an aggressive mistake.  I misjudged the distance of the fly ball."

"You have to also think that you have a left-handed hitter up behind Mesoraco.  You lose that hole over there.  Hannahan gets a hit and not only do we tie it up we have a chance to score more runs. I'd rather have them be aggressive than not but it's a good thing they didn't put the camera on me when it happened."



No comments:

Post a Comment