About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Reds Strike Out the Juan Pierre Three Times






In the euphoria among the Reds' fans that attended the game Friday night for getting free LaRosa's pizza for 11 strikeout by Reds' pitchers, the Reds lost 2-1 and Juan Pierre struck out three times.

Pierre is the toughest player in all of baseball to strike out.  He is the anti-Stubbs.

For his career Pierre has fanned once every 17.47 plate appearances.  That is three plate appearances more than the second toughest, teammate Placido Polanco.

It tied a career high for Pierre, the fifth time in 1,897 games that he has been struck out three times.

Reds' manager Dusty Baker and thirdbase coach, Chris Speier, know how rare that feat is.

http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/
"I've never seen him do that. I looked at Chris (after the first one) and he looked at me because that doesn't ever happen. Then he struck out again and again. It got us out of some jams."

First year Marlins' manager Mike Redmond isn't quite as familiar with Pierre as Baker and Speier.


"J.P. doesn't strike out a lot, I guess.  He's a good contact hitter," Redmond said.  "J.P. is a professional.  He knows when to bunt, when to move runners up.  He knows how to play the game.  Everybody strikes out three times, I think I've even struck out three times before."

Redmond had 2,404 plate appearances as a catcher for the Marlins and Twins. He struck out 255 times or every 9.2 plate appearances.
Pierre had 7,358 plate appearances coming into this year with 452 strikeouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment