About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Johnny Cueto Injury Sends Reds to the Louisville for Help







Johnny Cueto's strained right lat had repercussions in both the Cincinnati and Louisville bullpens, never mind, who will replace him on Thursday against the Miami Marlins.

The Reds selected the contract of Justin Freeman.

Freeman was picked by the Reds in the 32nd round of the 2008 draft. The 5'11", 174 lb. right-hander is 26 years old.  He graduated from Mary Persons High School in Forsyth, Georgia and pitched at Kennesaw State University before signing with the Reds.

Freeman was invited to spring training but was injured for most of it, making two appearances in which he pitched three innings.  He allowed no runs; gave up two hits and struck out three.

"We thought about (Jose) Arredondo but he pitched three innings yesterday," Dusty Baker said.  "He wouldn't be available for a couple days.  He was throwing the best and he has good stuff,"

Baker didn't see much of Freeman but liked his stuff.

"He pitched in the exhibition against the Diamondbacks at the end of spring and showed good stuff," Baker said.  "I talked to Tom Brown (pitching coach at Pensacola).  Brown had him last year. Tom said he could pitch.  He's a character but he can pitch."

 "The way our bullpen is taxed we need someone right now.  We will deal with (Tony) Cingrani when he gets here, whenever he gets here. Cingrani couldn't help us now."

Cueto felt good until he threw a change up in the fifth inning on Saturday.

"I feel good now according to the doctor I'm going to miss at least two outings. I felt it in my triceps but it is the lat," Cueto said.

The latissimus dorsi is attached to the triceps.

Cueto had the same injury at the end of the 2011 season.

"I was feeling so good. I was so relaxed. I can't believe that this happened on one pitch. I don't think this will affect me long at all.  I feel like I can start throwing in about five or six days," Cueto said.

No comments:

Post a Comment