About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Baker is Looking For Production in Leftfield. Xavier Paul Gets the Start






Dusty Baker is worried about the wear and tear on the bullpen.  The Reds have played the equivalent of 22 games due in part to the lack of key hits.  They have played five extra-inning games and had chances to win in nine but stranded too many runners, including 17 in the 13-inning game Saturday against Miami.
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/

"I'm looking for production," Baker said.  "We have left too many runners on in key situations."


Chris Heisey has been getting the most playing time since Ryan Ludwick was injured on opening day.

Heisey is hitting .183 in 20 games with 71 at-bats.  He has driven in five runs.

Xavier Paul started four games, hitting .346 on the season with eight RBI in 26 at-bats.

Heisey's at-bats have come with 30 men on base, 20 in scoring postion.  Heisey is hitting .214 with runners in scoring position and has driven in two of the 20.

There have been 21 men on bast in Paul's at bats, 13 in scoring position.  Paul is hitting .400 with runners in scoring position, driving in six runs.

"I talked to Gene Clines about Paul years ago.  Gene had Paul in the Dodgers' organization.  Paul can hit.  He's been working on his defense."

Paul has adapted to a role off the bench.

"I don't get too high or too low," Paul said.  "I have learned to accept failure and handle success.  When I was with the Dodgers I hung out with Juan Pierre, who was learning how to play off the bench when the Dodgers got Andruw Jones and Manny Ramirez.  He taught me how to stay ready; how to get my sprints in, while he was learning to do it.  I try to do things between innings.  We have a 60-yard track and some indoor cages.  I try to stay ready when Dusty calls on me."

Like any one else Paul wants to play everyday.

"It was a big blow when Ludy (Ryan Ludwick) went down but we have a good group of guys.  I know Heis (Heisey) will get hot," Paul said.  "I will be ready when my turn comes."

No comments:

Post a Comment