About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Reds Sneak by Snakes






The minor leaguers came through for the Reds to lift the Reds to a 2-1 win.

The starters were only scheduled to play five innings. They will also play just five on Saturday here against the Diamondbacks.

Bronson Arroyo pitched six very strong innings.  He allowed seven hits the most damaging was Jason Kubel's fifth inning home run.


Arroyo was hit on the right hand by a line drive hit by David Murphy of Texas in his last start on Sun (3/24) and left the game.

"I was just trying to throw strikes and not get hit while getting my pitch count up," Arroyo said.  "My hand is fine. It is sore to the touch but I don't feel it at all doing anything on the field. I've had a great spring for me. It doesn't mean anything but it's as comfortable as I've ever felt on the field. I might give up 16 runs in my first start. But I feel comfortable right now."

Arroyo is as sharp as he's ever been.

"Bronson was great other than the home run to Kubel," Dusty Baker said. "He had more zip on his fastball. He had great location. He's thrown the ball well all spring.  I've never seen him so sharp this soon."

J.J. Hoover, Aroldis Chapman, Sam LeCure and Alfredo Simon combined for three scoreless innings of relief.  Simon got the save.

Felix Perez, a 28-year old outfielder from Cuba, had two hits. He singled and scored on a single by Henry Rodriguez in the seventh inning.  Perez tripled leading off the ninth and scored on a slow ground ball hit by Emmanuel Burris.

Burris and Cesar Izturis were called into Baker office after the game. The Reds made a move but would not disclose it yet.

Burris hit .207 but is a switch hitter with great speed, who can be a valuable player off the bench. He can also play outfield.

Izturis is a veteran. He is 33 years old but has the experience of 1,247 big league games in 11 season.  He has lost a step but is still reliable in the field.  He hit .327 this spring.

The last of the possible bench players is Jason Donald, who has the advantage of being on the 40-man roster.  He hit .250 and trailed off at the end of spring.  Donald can also play some outfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment