About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Reds Club Cubs With Nine Runs in the Ninth Inning







The Reds made the final trip to historic Hohokam Stadium, the March home of the Chicago Cubs. They made it a memorable one by scoring nine runs in their last at-bat, in a 11-1 win.

The Cubs will move to a new stadium in Mesa next season.

Johnny Cueto pitched six scoreless innings in his last tuneup to opening day.  He gave up four hits and a walk. Cueto struck out five, then went to the bullpen and threw some more.

"It was a lot smoother than the last time. I was more aggressive," Cueto said.

Last outing Cueto was hit hard because he was flying open with his front shoulder, causing pitches to be high and over the middle of the plate.

"I was working on that. I was talking to the pitching coach and we worked on staying on line to the plate. I know exactly what I'm doing. I will be able to correct it now," Cueto said.

Cueto singled, advanced to second on wild pitch, then scored easily on a double by Emmanuel Burris.

Todd Frazier hit his fifth home run of the spring off Hisanori Takahashi. Denis Phipps hit a single and a double for the Reds.  Jay Bruce struck out three times but tripled in the eighth inning.

The Reds led 2-1 going in to the ninth

Donald Lutz doubled and scored on a double by Cesar Izturis.  Corky Miller drove Izturis home with a single.

Bruce added an RBI single off Carlos Marmol in the Reds nine-run ninth.  Miller scored when Burris reached on an error.

Donald Lutz homered, his second hit of the inning.  Izturis also had two hits adding a single following a home run by Lutz.

Alfredo Simon pitched two innings for the first time since returning from the World Baseball Classic.  Simon pitched just once for the WBC Champion Dominican Republic team.

Simon allowed one run on three hits and a walk.


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120



No comments:

Post a Comment