About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Reds Club and Flub in a Tie With Cleveland







Reds clubbed four home runs but made four errors to let Indians catch up.

Xavier Paul and Todd Frazier homered in Cincinnati's five-run first inning against Cleveland opening-day starter Justin Masterson before the Reds and Indians tied 7-7 in a game called after nine innings Sunday.

Paul connected after singles by Zack Cozart and Joey Votto. Frazier's shot followed a walk to Jay Bruce. It was the second home run of the spring for both players.

"It was an odd game really," Dusty Baker said. "We jumped them early. Then didn't get any more for awhile. They jumped us. Then we jumped them again. We made four errors that gave them four extra outs. They hurt. They made a couple errors too."

Masterson, the Indians opening day starter, got through the rocky first and pitched shutout ball from there. He went four innings, allowing four hits and two walks while striking out six. The right-hander whiffed four of his last six batters.

He was able to adjust his delivery on the fly to finish his outing.

"I walked Xavier Paul throwing sliders," said Masterson of the third inning. "I was pulling my pitches. I closed my hips a little bit and sure enough my pitches had more depth to them. I got some quick innings after that."

First year manager Terry Francona sees Masterson as the staff leader.

"Masterson has embraced being the leader of this staff," Francona said.

 Reds starter Mat Latos, who struggled early in his previous two starts, retired his first four batters. But he gave up an unearned run in the third and two runs in the fourth. Latos went five innings, yielding six hits and striking out three.

The 25-year who cost the Reds four players in a trade, is a notorious slow starter but is working on a change up which he used to his advantage against Cleveland.

"I felt comfortable in the first inning," Latos said. "It was like spring training all over again. Everything felt real good today. My curveball felt real good coming out of my hand. The changeup I've been working on was good. I've had a crappy changeup my whole career. I've been working on it with Mario Soto. I'm starting to get a feel for it. I got a lot of swings and misses and some ground balls."

Latos was 1-2 in five April starts with a 5.97 ERA but was 13-2 the rest of 2012.

 "There was some pressure when a team trades four players to get you," Latos said. "Maybe I should have pitched in the WBC and got April out of the way."

Chris Heisey and Denis Phipps hit back-to-back home runs off Cody Allen, who was told he was opening the season in the Cleveland bullpen. Heisey's second spring homer and Phipps first gave the Reds a 7-4 lead going into the ninth.

Non-roster player, Omir Santos hit a solo home run and minor leaguer Carlos Moncrief hit a two-run home run off Reds' minor leaguer, Daniel Wolford to tie the game.

NOTES: Reds centerfielder Shin-Soo Choo is getting treatment for back spasms....Indians catcher Yan Gomes is sitting out with a tight right hamstring...Reds 2B returned from the World Baseball Classic but was given the day off by Dusty Baker...Indians RHP Chris Perez will throw a bullpen on Monday. He is recovering from a strained right shoulder. "The intensity of this bullpen will be monitored," Terry Francona said. "After that his side sessions will be normal."...Indians 1B Nick Swisher left the camp for personal reasons...Scott Kazmir pitched in a minor league game against the Texas Rangers A team. Kazmir in the mix for the number 5 starter job, pitched five innings, allowing four runs on eight hits and a walk. He struck out five...

No comments:

Post a Comment