About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Last Week of Training Reds vs Seattle, Arroyo's Hand is Fine






The Reds take on the Seattle Mariners as they begin the last week of spring training.

Homer Bailey will pitch for the Reds against 22-year old Brandon Maurer, who is one of four super pitching prospects in the Mariner organization along with Danny Hultzen, Taijuan Walker and James Paxton. Don't worry if you have never heard of them. If they stay healthy, you will.

Maurer is one of five candidates for two open starting spots in the Mariner rotation along with Blake Beavan, Erasmo Ramirez, Jon Garland and Jeremie Bonderman.

The Seattle right-hander will oppose the following lineup:

Shin-Soo Choo CF
Brandon Phillips 2B,
Joey Votto 1B
Ryan Ludwick LF
Xavier Paul RF
Jack Hannahan 3B
Zack Cozart SS
Devin Mesoraco C
Homer Bailey P

Bailey is scheduled to pitch five frames to be followed by Manny Parra, Justin Freeman, J.J. Hoover and lefty Wilkin De La Rosa.

Bronson Arroyo was hit on his right hand by Texas firstbaseman David Murphy.

The sight and sound gave Dusty Baker morbid thoughts.

"My heart sank," Baker said. "I heard it first. He (Arroyo) told me it was broken. I saw the hand and that's what I thought too.  We had Latos get hit the day before.  They put that pressure bondage on it, then told me it was nothing."

Arroyo insists he will pitch again Friday against Arizona at Chase Field.

"The guy takes pride in being able to pitch," Baker said. "I've only seen a few like him, very few. He has a high pain threshold but he just loves the game. He has dedication. If everybody was like him, they'd maximize their careers."

No comments:

Post a Comment