About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cueto Hit Hard By A's Todd Frazier, Derrick Robinson and Denis Phipps Homer







Johnny Cueto wasn't sharp but insists he will be ready for opening day.

Derek Norris homered as the Oakland Athletics roughed up Johnny Cueto and beat the Cincinnati Reds 10-9 Thursday.

Cueto allowed five runs on five hits and two walks in 1 2-3 inning.

Norris added a single to increase his spring average to .379. Josh Reddick and Chris Young hit doubles in the A's five-run second inning. Jed Lowrie had two hits for Oakland.

The Reds have not announced its opening day starter, but Cueto's turn would come up on opening day. Cueto blamed his mechanics. He wasn't able to adjust in time.

"My fastball was up and out over the plate," Cueto said. "I was flying open. I knew what was happening but couldn't correct it. In the bullpen all my pitches were down."

He has no concerns about being ready for the opener against the Angels.

"I'm ready," Cueto said.

Mark Prior, trying to make another comeback, pitched a scoreless inning for the Reds. He struck out one and hit a batter.

Prior's career ended prematurely with shoulder problems while pitching for Reds' manager Dusty Baker in Chicago.

"It was good to be out there. It was fun," Prior said. "I was trying to throw strikes. I was a little up a little rushed.

It was the first time doing it in a big league environment in a couple years. It was good. Two years ago when I was in camp with the Yankees I got to face hitters in spring, nine outings that went pretty good. It was a good test for me to see if I could get big league hitters out.

The 32-year old, who hasn't pitched in the major leagues since 2006, pitched in Pawtucket in the Red Sox's organization last year.

"After pitching in minor league games in minor league camp and last year in Pawtucket, you still want to know does your stuff still play," Prior said. "My location wasn't as good as it's been in the minor league camp but I'm sure it was adrenaline and anxiety."

Baker and Prior have stayed in touch over the years. Baker helped Prior get this opportunity.

 "I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to be in this position. I'm here because of Dusty. Maybe I can surprise some people by doing something," Prior said.

"Prior threw the ball good. He's not far off from where he was before," Baker said. "His fastball had good zip on it. His breaking pitches will come in time. He hasn't been here that long. I'm glad for him. It's a matter of staying healthy. It was nice for me to shake his hand when he came off the mound."

A's starter Brett Anderson pitched for the first time in a game since March 10. He had been out with a strained right trapezius. The left-hander missed most of last season while recovering from elbow surgery.

"The results weren't awesome but I threw some good pitches," Anderson said. "I threw some not good pitches. I threw a lot of pitches I wouldn't throw in a regular season game. A lot of change-ups that got hit. I got some strike outs on my slider that was good. I got of five times and felt pretty good. The results weren't very good from the outside looking in but I gave up  eight hits, four or five were on pitches I wouldn't throw in the regular season."

Anderson pitched 4 2/3 innings, allowing six runs on eight hits and two walks. He struck out five.

Todd Frazier and Derrick Robinson homered off Anderson. It was the third of the spring for Frazier.

Denis Phipps homered off Travis Blackley in the ninth.

Grant Balfour made his first appearance of the spring for Oakland. Balfour is making a quick recovery from athroscopic surgery on his right knee on February 14. Balfour, who led the A's last season with 24 saves, pitched a perfect inning, striking out one.

NOTES: The Athletics sent LHP Ian Krol to Washington on Wednesday as the player-to-be-named-later in the trade that brought John Jaso to the A's from Seattle in a three-way trade....The A's acquired RHP Darren Byrd from Milwaukee for IF Stephen Parker on the off day Wednesday....Reds' OF Shin-Soo Choo put in full workout today. He missed five games with a back spasms....The Reds have not announced its opening day starter but Johnny Cueto's turn would come up on opening day the way the rotation is currently set up....

No comments:

Post a Comment