About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Friday, February 22, 2013

Reds First Lineup Tony Cingrani Starts

The Ohio cup Arizona edition gets under way at 3:05 Cincinnati time.

The Reds will start with Tony Cingrani on the mound against Cleveland's Giovanni Soto, a non-roster invitee.

The Reds projected rotation won't pitch in games until next week.

Cingrani is probably going to start the season in Louisville but has an outside chance to crack the rotation if there are injuries or a trade.

"Cingrani is in the mix," Dusty Baker said this morning.  "He's confident enough to think he could make this club.  As a player, you don't worry about who is ahead of you or behind you.  You just go play.  He performed well last year when he came up in a pennant race."

The lefthander pitched five innings for the Reds late last season, allowing a run on four hits.  He struck out nine batters of the 15 he retired.

"You don't see too many power pitchers that are lefthanded," Baker said.  "He can pitch off his fastball.  He knows how to pitch."

The 23-years old was born in Evergreen, Illinois.  The Reds took him in the third round of the 2011 draft.  He pitched at South Suburban College in South Holland, Illinois after graduating from Lincoln-Way High School in 2007.  He also pitched at Rice University.

Baker is sending his projected regulars to face Soto.

Shin-Soo Choo CF
Brandon Phillips 2B
Joey Votto 1B
Ryan Ludwick LF
Jay Bruce RF
Todd Frazier 3B
Zack Cozart SS
Ryan Hanigan C
Miguel Olivo DH
And Tony Cingrani P

Asked if he was excited to see Choo, Baker downplayed it.

"I don't get too excited about seeing players," Baker said.  "There is a long way to go.  If I got excited now, I'd be excited out by the time the season started.  I just want them to go play.  I don't give any signs early in the spring.  I want to see who knows what to do and who doesn't.  I want to see who can hit 3-0, who knows when to steal.  I just let them play."

The Indians lineup that will face Cingrani are:

Michael Bourn CF
Asdrubal Cabrera SS
Jason Kipnis 2B
Nick Swisher 1B
Michael Brantley LF
Carlos Santana C
Mark Reynolds DH
Lonnie Chisenhall 3B
Drew Stubbs RF
and Giovanni Soto P

Stubbs is being converted into a corner outfielder for the Indians this spring.











No comments:

Post a Comment