About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dusty Baker Looking At Areas of Improvement


Be proud of your accomplishments but never be satisfied.

The Reds' 97-win season that ended one run short of the National League Championship Series was a great accomplishment but left the club feeling disappointed and dissatisfied.

"You don't get over those that quickly," Baker said.  "It was hard for me because I live in Giants country (Granite Bay, CA, near Sacremento),"

The Reds went on the road in San Francisco and won the first two games.  They took the whopping advantage home but could not score more than a first-inning run in the third playoff game.

Among the areas that Baker would like to see better:

Todd Frazier

"We have to slow Fraz down at the plate and speed him up in the field," Baker said.  "I told him to go work on his lateral movement.  I told him to take ballet.  I don't know if he went that far but I've seen improvement."

Brandon Phillips

"I'd like to see him keep the ball off the ground with men on first," Baker said.  "He's improved that a lot since I first got here."

Phillips grounded into 26 double plays in 2007.  He hit into 19 last season.

"I told (Zack) Cozart and Brandon that I'd like to see them turn more double plays," Baker said.  "That's not a criticism.  It's just an area for improvement."

Jay Bruce

"We are working with him, still.  He is still trying to figure things out.  There are some things that don't need to figure out," Baker said.  "That's the tough thing for a young player.  It is tough to decide when to be natural and when to think about things.  Jay gets himself in trouble by fouling off pitches.  He has to learn to center the ball.  He fouls off pitches and gets himself into strike out situations."

Joey Votto

"I don't worry about Joey," Baker said.  "We may have to straighten him out a little from time to time but he's established.  Once a player like that is established, you move on to other guys.   Working with a guy who is established becomes a waste of time."




Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120








No comments:

Post a Comment