About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Billy Hamilton Will Play Against the Cleveland Indians Today

Billy Hamilton is not in the starting lineup.

The player that set the professional record with 155 stolen bases last year is learning to switch hit and play centerfield.  He will follow Shin-Soo Choo, who is in the starting lineup

Shin-Soo Choo CF
Brandon Phillips 2B
Jack Hannahan 1B
Donald Lutz LF
Todd Frazier 3B
Miguel Olivo C
Jason Donald SS
Ryan LaMarre RF
Chris Heisey DH

Alfredo Simon P

Hamilton will start the season in Louisville.

A visiting reporter asked Baker, who had to answer the same for the 20th time at least, if Hamilton will make the team.

"Where's he going to play?" Baker asked.  "He's young.  Tell me, where is he going to play? He hasn't had many at bats as a switch-hitter.  He hasn't played centerfield. Is he going to play in front of Ludwick?  Is he going to be in my lineup between Joey (Votto)  and Jay (Bruce)? Is he going to play in front of Choo?  Is he going to play in front of Bruce?  Now if I had like a rover.  He'd make a hell of a rover."

Young Drew Hayes was brought into Friday's game with the bases loaded and one out with the Reds holding a 10-8 lead.

Mike McCade sliced a double down the line to beat the Reds 11-10.

"I wasn't afraid to bring him in because he throws strikes," Baker said. "He has an idea.  He was trying to throw a sinker to induce a double play.  He just missed his spot.  If you have an idea most of the time you'll complete what you're trying to complete.  He wasn't afraid."

Hayes was scheduled to pitch on Saturday but the circumstances dictated that he pitch in a tough situation.

"I was an extra guy.  When you're the extra guy you have to be ready.  I tried to get him to hit a sinker.  A double play would have been the best case scenario. With a two-run lead we'd have taken an out any way we could get it.  These are the best players.  He put a good swing on a 3-2 pitch.  I tip my hat to him."

Hayes, in his first major league camp, was excited to be in the game in that situation.


"It was a fun situation to get into," Hayes said.  "Obviously, I wish
we could have held on for the win.  These are the best players you're
going to face.  I just wanted to go in there and attack.  I just tried
to throw the ball over the plate and see what happens."


Professionally edited by ML Schirmer
for proof reading services call
513-240-3120










No comments:

Post a Comment