About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Robert Martin Baseball Barber







New York Giants's pitcher Sal Maglie was nicknamed "the barber".

Robert Martin 79 at his shop on Galbraith Road.
By the time Maglie retired in 1958 young Robert Martin moved to Cincinnati from Kentucky and opened a barber shop in the White Oak Shopping Center on Cheviot Road in the Cincinnati suburbs.

One of his earliest customer's was a bouncy, crying two-year old by the name of  David Gus Bell his first haircut.

But Mr. Martin's baseball influence did not end with the by trimming the coif of the son of Cincinnati Reds' outfielder Gus Bell, within a few years, he moved his shop to the corner of Colerain and Galbraith.  He built a successful business and gave back to the community by sponsoring knothole baseball.

His shop moved again a block or two east on Galbraith across from St. Ann's church, behind which  a half dozen baseball fields once entertained the youth of Colerain Township with summer games.

At the age of 79, Martin still works six days a week, keeping the males of Colerain Township groomed.

Buddy Bell hair still groomed
The crying, two-year old who forfeited his blonde locks in the 50's grew up to have his own 18-year baseball career with the Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers, Cincinnati Reds and Houston Astros.  Bell is currently the vice president of player development for the Chicago White Sox.  His own sons David and Mike played in the major leagues.

The knothole teams that Martin sponsors are on the wall of his shop, along with several trophies.  Long time teacher at LaSalle High School, Gene Jessee, took over from his father. Art and coached the teams.  He coached baseball at LaSalle mentoring major league players, Tim Naehring and Zack Day.

On this balmy January day, as I prepare for spring training less than two weeks away, I decided to clean up my act and get my hair trimmed.  Mr. Martin was there as always with shears in hand.

None of the players on his sponsored teams went on to careers as players but the sponsorship has paid off.  My father got his hair cut at the shop.  And Mr. Martin has gotten over 50 years of haircuts from me.  That's close to 100 haircuts.

I head off to Arizona on February 9.  Mr. Martin not only gave Bell his first hair cut.  He gave me my last......until I come back of course.

[
http://www.wiedemannbeer.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment