About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Reds Celebrate but Miss Their Leader

The scene was not as chaotic in the clubhouse as it was two years ago.  Then Dusty Baker did the bounce with champagne dripping from all over his body.  Baker had a solitary and sedate celebration since he was hospitalized with an irregular heart beat.

This is no longer new to the team in spite of its youth.  Yet some of the key members, Todd Frazier and Zack Cozart were rookies.  That is past tense now.

Joey Votto stopped his personal revelry to video tape a message to Baker.

"Dusty wish you were here. This is definitely for you," Votto said into the camera.

In the opposite corner, Scott Rolen, who was an offensive force and a defensive stabalizer after a horrible start, put into perspective how important the youngsters were.

"They were good all the way," Rolen said. "Cozart was the unsung hero.  He played a gold glove shortstop."

This may be Rolen's last year but right now his thoughts were with his manager.

"We had a little toast to Dusty, our little private thing. He digs this kind of thing. It's a shame he wasn't here," Rolen said.

Brandon Phillips had his own little ritual for his manager.

"If it wasn't for Dusty, we wouldn't be here," Phillips said.  "I poured some champagne on the ground for my homey. I'm going to call him.  We're still on a mission there are things we've got to do."

Chris Speier is not only the bench coach but one of Baker's friends and goes back to when both were San Francisco Giants coaches.

"This is special. It's really special.  When you go through this you want the people who had a lot to do with this moment to be there and experience it.  I and all of us feel we wish he was here. The latest is he should be back here tomorrow.  It will be very low key.  It's all good (health wise). Everything's good right now. But there isn't anything worse than not having Dusty here.  I thought about him a lot throughout the whole game.  I got distracted during the game because my thoughts were with him.  These are special times.  I haven't talked to him.  His phone has gone off the charts.  You can't get through.  The only way to reach him is through one of his friends that is in the room with him.  At some point not to late from now, I will talk to him."


























No comments:

Post a Comment