About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Another Dimension to Billy Hamilton

Hamilton Steals Third

On March 15 last spring, I was watching Bakersfield play the Arizona Diamondbacks high A affiliate.

Edinson Volquez had visa problems preventing him from appearing in any exhibition games for which admission was charged.  He was limited to minor league games on the back fields which is why I was there.

What I saw described below was perhaps more amazing than the stolen base record that the 21-year old from Taylorsville, Mississippi just set and extended to 148 last night for Pensacola.

Hamilton wears #4 for Blue Wahoos
We had seen him late in games in 2009 at shortstop and got a glimpse of his speed and raw skills at shortstop but below was one of the most impressive plays I have ever seen.

The most impressive play of the day is the young shortstop, Billy Hamilton, who can flat run.

Juan Duran was in leftfield when one of the Diamondback farmhands hit a fly ball to medium deep left field that was drifting toward the foul line. Duran could not find it in the Arizona high sky with no clouds.  Hamilton ran it down from his shortstop position and caught it, diving head first with his back to the infield.

As much baseball I've seen in my lifetime that was as impressive as anything.







No comments:

Post a Comment