About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Miami Marlins Hand the Reds Its First 2012 Loss

Ozzie Guillen told some of his hitters to relax and not try to do too much.

"I did it when I played.  I'd go 0-for-4 on the first day and again on the second day then I'd panic," Guillen said before the game with the Reds.

His new charges responded.

Miami scored just one run in the first 18 innings of the season but erupted for eight against Mat Latos and the Reds.

Giancarlo Stanton, who was known as Mike Stanton, his first two years in the league, drove in three runs with a double and a two-run single off Latos.  Stanton had three hits total.  Omar Infante had three hits including his first home run, a double and a triple.  Hanley Ramirez hit a two-run home run off Sam LeCure and John Buck did the same off Alfredo Simon.

The Reds managed six hits off Miami starter Ricky Nolasco, who turned in another well pitched game for the Marlins.  "The good thing is we've been pitching well," Guillen said before the game.

Devin Mesoraco singled in his first 2012 at bat, shaking some rookie jitters.  Zack Cozart had a triple, single and a home run.  Joey Votto hit his first of the season, following Cozart's triple.

Latos wanted to make a good impression on the fans of Cincinnati but it backfired on him.

"I'm sick to my stomach right now," Latos said.  "I wanted to make a good impression with a new team.  When guys got on base I tried to be too perfect instead of executing my pitches."

Dusty Baker acknowledged that Latos may have been a little too amped for his first Cincinnati start.

"That is a good fastball hitting team and that's what they hit was fastballs," Baker said.  "Latos had  a real good breaking ball coming out of spring training.  He may have tried to overthrow it tonight.  He is going to be good, very good."

Baker was also pleased that Cozart and Mesoraco got their hits.

"You want the young guys to get off to a good start so they can relax," Baker said.  "Cozart was ready coming out of spring training. He is very calm.  He was one hit away from the cycle.  Mesoraco is going to be a good one too."

No comments:

Post a Comment