About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I've covered the Cincinnati Reds, Bengals and others since 1992. I have a background in sales as well. I've sold consumer electronics, advertising and consumer package goods for companies ranging from the now defunct Circuit City to Procter&Gamble. I have worked as a stats operator for Xavier University, the University of Cincinnati, the College of Mount St. Joe and Colerain High School.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yonder Alonso Thankful for the Opportunity

Yonder Alsonso didn't want to leave the Reds organization but knew it was likely.  He shed 25 pounds over the winter to take advantage of his chance to play every day.  With the Reds he was blocked by Joey Votto and was trying in vain to learn to play left field.

" I was a little bit surprised by the trade. I kind of  knew Walt (Jocketty) was going to do something," Alonso said.  "You just  didn't know when. When it finally went down, it was a relief.  I am going to take advantage of the opportunity.  Buddy (Black, the San Diego manager) runs a good camp.  All the guys are about my age, so I have no problem fitting in."

Alonso, Yasmani Grandal, Brad Boxberger and Edinson Volquez were swapped for righthanded starter Mat Latos.

One of the ironies is the trade prevented former summer league teammates from reuniting in the major leagues.

"I've known Mat Latos since high school.  We were on the summer league team, the Florida Bombers.  I played first base while he pitched. He's such a good pitcher.  He could be a number one on any team.  He's young just like me.  It's a good trade overall.  San Diego got what they wanted.  And they (Reds) got what they wanted in a good pitcher. He throws absolute pellets."

Alonso doubled and Grandall singled against the Reds on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment